Laptop upgrade: Ram and SSD

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello,

I'm upgrading my laptops primary drive and ram.
I'm currently using a 1tb 5400rpm drive, and 8gb (4x2gb) 1600mhz ram.

I'm looking at upgrading the primary HDD to a Samsung Evo 500gb and adding another 16gb (2x8) 1600mhz ram.

I do multitasking (photo and video editing with Adobe creative suite) and I also host games.
I play feed the beast which burns through my ram usage (at least 3.5gb) and hosting uses at least 1gb.
I get major lag with my current set up from such a slow HDD and little ram (I use around 7.5-7.9gb using FTB alone, it's painful)

I'm also deciding if 500gb is too much/not enough. I'll put a few games on, but the 1tb will have most games on + all my software. So, I'm contemplating the 750gb or the 500gb

What kind of usage of the SSD do you think I would burn through. Do you think 24gb is too much?
I'll be using Windows 8.1, Adobe Creative Suite, some games (heavily modded skyrim, long loading games) and most of my other software.

I have an MSI GT70-2OC

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Not really seeing anything you couldn't answer yourself, given what you wrote.

If you want 24GB of memory, go for it. If you think you'll need more space then a 500GB SSD offers, then there are 960GB drives somewhat reasonably priced.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

haha, yeah. I'm feeling confident with it, but I'm curious about real world performance and usage. I mean, how much of a 250 or 500gb SSD would you realistically use with windows 8.1, software and hardware?
And how much ram does adobe suite or sony vegas or any editing software really use. I can check through google, but I'm curious to what some people might say.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
That is all up to the user, you could load an infinite amount of programs. I don't know precisely what you would use Creative Suite for either. That can be anything from photo, audio, video, graphics, websites... If you are already using nearly your maximum memory, that is cause to add more. If you intend it to be your sole platform and you are uneasy with an external drive for bulk storage, or need the performance, then a larger SSD makes sense.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hmm. My question was quite unclear.

I will probably stick with the 500gb and the 16gb.
FTB eats at memory lol.

In your opinion, what laptop ram would you consider, and what SSD is good?