Laptop Wi-Fi all of a sudden dropping connection/losing range?

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hi, I've been using this laptop for almost 2 years and wi-fi has been brilliant, I always get max connection since my router is a room away.

But yesterday, my Wi-Fi has been dropping alot, and the range shows two bars instead of max, and when I click on the wireless bars, it would usually show around 10 different routers from our neighbors, but now it only shows our router? Nothing else is affected, my phone, my brothers laptop, my PS3 all function the same. It's a Sky Sagem router.

So I decided to open the quick access back panel on my laptop, which is a HP DV6 2011 model, and I could see the black and white wires that are linked to the wi-fi, I took them off, and reconnected and even loosened the wires a little, but still I get the same results?
In the power management section of Windows, I have made sure that my 'wireless' is on 'maximum performance'.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

It's not a wireless card. The only information I can find about it is that it is a Broadcom 4313, I'll try and update the driver, but it's so weird how it randomly occurred. I take good care of my laptop too.

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Updated the drivers, and still nothing, should I open the laptop up completely and see what's going on in there? This is really annoying haha

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If everything was working fine up to the very last moment then it is likely not a hardware issue (board level) with the laptop. Have you checked the wifi antenna cables next to the hinge? If the hinge is broken or failing it can damage one of the cables, if a cable if broken and the hinge is ok you can salvage a cable from another laptop.

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

I'll give it a look, for now I'm using my PC's wireless adapter and it's working fine, so it's not a software related issue, and not a router related issue since I get full bars with the adapter on my laptop. If I still can't fix it, I might have to give in and buy a nano usb wifi adapter :(