Laptop will act as if it was unplugged while using graphics card.

Delta10P

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Hi, lately i've started to have this problem where, if i'm on a program that uses the dedicated graphics card on my laptop, the laptop will behave as if it was unplugged (screen goes to unplugged brightness, performance will get worse, and even the "charging" indicator will show that i'm using my battery instead). As soon as I exit the program, the screen will light up again and everything will behave as it should.

At first i thought my power cord was loose, but soon i noticed that it only happened while the dedicated graphics card was being used.

System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: GE70 2OC\2OE
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M

I've searched around, but this seems to be a pretty uncommon problem.

Worst part is that sometimes it doesn't do it and I can't figure out what is different those times.

Any ideas?

Solution
Sounds like you need a new power brick, I've run into this before on 1 laptop that started to use a lot of resources it would act like I unplugged it.

If you decide to get a new power brick, I recommend getting the exact same brick, beware of the eBay no name specials, they don't last and could take out your laptop if something were to go haywire.

Viking2121

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Sounds like you need a new power brick, I've run into this before on 1 laptop that started to use a lot of resources it would act like I unplugged it.

If you decide to get a new power brick, I recommend getting the exact same brick, beware of the eBay no name specials, they don't last and could take out your laptop if something were to go haywire.

Solution