Laptop will not start

Peter Fishburn

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
My laptop goes through the motions of starting eg lights flashing and making noises but it does not actually power up but continues to go through the same routine until i unplug it

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Please provide more detail of the problem. From what I understand, there are signs of power going to the motherboard, so what makes you believe the laptop isn't starting? I have to assume you don't see the screen turn on. If I'm right, then it is quite possible you have dead inverter, which is the part that sends electricity to the monitor.

Peter Fishburn

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Peter Fishburn

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
T T
The reason i do not think the laptop is starting is because after pressing the power button the lights flash momentarily as though it is going to start up but then stops going through the start up the lights go off then a couple of seconds later it goes through the same routine as though it is going to start but nothing happens i have done the usual thing of pressing many keys thinking it will have an effect

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Much better details, thank you. If you have the power cord, plug it in, and then remove the battery from the laptop. Press the power button. Are you still seeing the symptoms you describe? If not, then your battery is dead and can't hold a charge. If yes, it is possible that something is shorting inside.

How old is the laptop? Have there been any recent hardware changes? Warranty/RMA possible?

Peter Fishburn

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Peter Fishburn

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
T_T
Sorry about the delay in replying but we do not currently have access to the internet at home due to the laptop situation.
I have changed the battery as when i bought a replacement i inadvertently bought two and it goes through the same routine
I think the laptop is 5/6 years old and no we have not had any hardware changes at all

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps your SO-DIMM (RAM) is no good. Open the cover to your RAM and remove them. Typically, there is a small lever that needs to be pulled up before the RAM modules can be removed. After removing the RAM, try powering up again. Does the beep you heard before sound any different? If not, then the likely culprit is your RAM.