Laptop wireless connection problem

Jul 16, 2018
The issue with my HP laptop is that sometime once I turn it on, it does not show the wireless networks. Once I go into the settings I find that all drivers are missing.

No wireless networks are shown in the list. It only shows the airplane mode which is also dead.

After restarting the laptop several times, it gets connected on its own and starts working fine.

There are no issues with the ethernet connection. If the wireless is not working, I can connect it with the wire and keep working.

Any permanent solution, please?

Saga Lout

Olde English
The wi-fi circuit board is a small piece of plastic with very tiny gold connectors to the motherboard and I'm guessing it's worked loose.

It's a job for a pro fixer but if you want to tackle the job yourself, you would need to feel OK about taking the laptop apart to gain access. I'll write up a few tips if you want to try it.

An alternative is a wi-fi dongle which sits in a USB port and takes the job off the internal card. Here;s a link to an e-Bay sale to give you an idea. It isn't my sale and I'm not recommending it but at that price, it beats risking upsetting something else in the case while trying to fix the old one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-USB-WiFi-Dongle-802-11-B-G-N-Wireless-Network-Adapter-for-Laptop-PC-UK/183242321188?epid=28019370469&hash=item2aaa17ed24%3Ag%3A55EAAOSwPGpbB9FG&_sacat=0&_nkw=usb+wi-fi+dongle&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Saga Lout

Olde English
Is there a physical switch on the front or side of the laptop that turns WiFi on or off? I've often come across folks who inadvertently turn that switch off when they sit down with the laptop. It annoys me because I take three seconds to turn it on and don't think I should charge them. :(

The same can happen if the switch is on a Function key and it gets touched accidently.

Jul 16, 2018
Hi Saga. Yes, there is a Wifi On/Off button but this has nothing to do with the problem I am facing. As I mentioned earlier, once the Wifi is not working, even the drivers are also not visible in the settings.

Saga Lout

Olde English
Also in the settings is an option to Update Driver. Use the ethnernet connection tto let Windows wander round the Net to find the right driver.

When you said Airplane mode is also dead, what is it actually showing - on or off?

Jul 16, 2018
I updated the driver in settings several times but it did not work.

Re Airplane mode, it is not active. This means the icon is visible but not clickable.

Saga Lout

Olde English
If you're running Windows 10, you should be able to see teh wi-fi icon on the taskbar - usually between the battery indicator and the sound icon. When you click on that, do you see wi-fi in blue and Flight Mode and Hotspot both in black.

Let's start off with which version of Windows are you running?

Jul 16, 2018

Jul 16, 2018
I am running windows 10.

I feel that the issue is not quite clear. Let me make another attempt :)

The wifi normally works fine once the laptop is placed on my study table.

If, while it is working fine, I pick it up and place it on my lap or move it to somewhere else, it gets stuck. Once I restart it, the wifi things disappear.

Likewise, if I try to turn it on by placing it anywhere else (other than the spot on my study table), the wifi things (icon and available networks) disappear.

In short, it works well once i place it on my study table only :) funny, isn't it?

Saga Lout

Olde English
The wi-fi circuit board is a small piece of plastic with very tiny gold connectors to the motherboard and I'm guessing it's worked loose.

It's a job for a pro fixer but if you want to tackle the job yourself, you would need to feel OK about taking the laptop apart to gain access. I'll write up a few tips if you want to try it.

An alternative is a wi-fi dongle which sits in a USB port and takes the job off the internal card. Here;s a link to an e-Bay sale to give you an idea. It isn't my sale and I'm not recommending it but at that price, it beats risking upsetting something else in the case while trying to fix the old one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-USB-WiFi-Dongle-802-11-B-G-N-Wireless-Network-Adapter-for-Laptop-PC-UK/183242321188?epid=28019370469&hash=item2aaa17ed24%3Ag%3A55EAAOSwPGpbB9FG&_sacat=0&_nkw=usb+wi-fi+dongle&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 8
N Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 2
V Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2