Laptop with Pen Digitizer

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I'm kind of looking for a laptop to do it all. I want a reasonably powerful development laptop with a good graphics card. Also I want a 360 flip laptop so I can use for low profile notes reference while teaching. Last for fun I wanted one with a pen digitizer.

The Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15 looked perfect except I'm seeing inconsistent feedback about it having a pen digitizer. It looks like the laptop was supposed to have one but then Lenovo changed their mind on release.

Are there other similar laptops around or might an updated Yoga come out with more features?

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
The surface does look like excellent hardware but the difficulty to upgrade makes me a little leery. In every laptop I've owned I've upgraded the memory and/or the hard drive. Also how does that detachable keyboard work when used as an actual laptop?

Well, keep in mind that I don't own one; I've only done the research into it because I'd like one haha.

As far as storage is concerned, between cloud storage and the increasing efficiency of flash storage and external options, that really has not been something I worried about. The Surface does have a slot for a microSD card for added storage. I believe the SSD itself is also replaceable if you want a larger one, but the process is rather difficult because opening the thing is a hassle.

RAM, on the other hand, is soldered onto the darn thing so you can't replace that. A little unfortunate, and might be a deal breaker for some people depending on their needs.

The keyboard is just that—a keyboard. It attaches magnetically and is detachable, but it's otherwise the same as any other laptop keyboard, complete with backlighting and a touchpad. It's very thin so it feels a little odd at first, but I figure it's something you get used to. It IS extremely expensive though, at $130 by itself, so some people opt to just grab a cheap Bluetooth keyboard/mouse set.