Laptop won’t connect to monitor

May 24, 2018
Using an hdmi cable, I’ve been connecting to my laptop fine with my monitor ever since my laptop screen stopped working. Yesterday, windows updated, and was stuck on a black screen with only my cursor on the screen. After 15 minutes, I turned off my laptop using the power button and now it won’t connect to the monitor. I have tried taking out the battery and holding the power button, using a different cable, using a different monitor, and using fn+f8. Please help.

If you are still getting that black screen with a mouse/cursor only, Try these...

Option 1 ...

1. First, while the computer is off, connect an external monitor.
2. Next turn on the computer and allow it to fully load.
3. Once loaded, press the "Windows Key" + "P" to open the "Easy Display Switcher".
4. In here select "Computer only".
5. Now shut down the computer and disconnect the external monitor.
5. Disconnect the external monitor
6. And finally restart the computer.

Option 2 ...

Make sure you wait until the computer would be fully loaded before trying this, and not try it right away like you would to say get into BIOS. This needs you to actually be where you would be when Windows Explorer loads.

1. Press "Shift" repeatedly until the "sticky keys" window shows up.

2. Now click the the link there that will lead to the "Ease of Access Center".

3. Next click "Cancel" on the the bottom right corner of the "Set Up Sticky Keys" window.

4. From here you want to click "Control Panel" on the upper left corner (it should be right beside the "Make Your Computer Easier to Use" title.

5. Locate the "Computer Settings" menu and then choose the "Recovery" icon (make sure that your view of this is by either large or small icons for easier access).

6. Now click and open "System Restore".

7. Here you want to click next on the bottom right corner (a few times) until the button "Finish" shows up and then click it. (Just follow everything prompt that the window says which will lead you to recovering your previous system, in a certain time.

8. The computer will now do the work it needs to and then reboot.

If that doesn't work, you can try the following...

You can also try doing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see if you can get "Task Manager" to show.

If the "Task Manager" windows shows, then choose "New Task" and then type in EXPLORER. If the desktop shows up then you need to go into "Start", "Programs", then "Accessories" and finally "Command Prompt". (Or you can do a search for CMD.)

Make sure you load the "Command Prompt" with Administrator access. Then when it loads type in....

SFC /SCANNOW

It will do a file check.

To learn more about "SFC" visit this link at Microsoft... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

May 24, 2018
There is no black screen with a cursor anymore, it just won’t connect to the monitor. Since the screen is completely broken and won’t work, I’m unable to see anything.

May 24, 2018

Too bad I can’t see it to update it. Does it being windows 8 have anything to do with it? Also, is there anything I can do to update it?

Seyed22Shaheen

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Because you suddenly force shut down your the laptop, it might be in diagnostics or Checking Disk for errors, As the BIOS and start-up is not displayed in external display it remains black. So the solution would be to press ESC as soon as you power the computer up and disconnect the HDMI and connect it again, now you should be able to see the BIOS and the recovery menu (because you pressed ESC). If that does not work then disconnect the Ribbon cable from the broken display (fairly easy) and try again...

May 24, 2018

I tried the first solution with no luck, and I cannot do the second due to screws being too tight. Would cutting the wires to my screen have any negative effects?

Seyed22Shaheen

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

you need to remove the display frame to remove the cable not the laptop (part which contains the Main Board) itself, I don't see a negative side to cutting those wires and you can get a new ribbon cable for < 7$. You might as well borrow a friends laptop and simulate diagnostics/disk check up to check the timing and when it says "cancel disk check up" you can press any key and your laptop will boot without checking the disk or repairing(only possible if your laptop is in disk check up mode not diagnostics). If you permanently want to display your BIOS and Startup on the external monitor, you need to remove the display ribbon cable from the Main Board (Motherboard).

May 24, 2018
I have now disconnected all of the wires connected to my broken screen, with still no luck. I know that I can move the hard drive into another computer to fix it, but I don’t have another one. I really would like to not bring it in for repairs since I am already low on funds.

Seyed22Shaheen

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
The most important step is to disconnect the HDMI and Reinsert immediately when the Laptop is the Recovery Menu(the menu where it shows different start up modes such as. BIOS, safemode,Diagnostics etc), the Key (ESC in mine) may differ from Laptop to Laptop

May 24, 2018

I decided to go onto the asus website to look into what my BIOS key was (f2), but it still ended up not working. Am I screwed?

Seyed22Shaheen

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
No you are not, try leaving the laptop on for several hours, it might just finish the diagnostics or Disk Check and return to the log in screen. If it still doesn't, then our last option would be to remove the Ribbon cable from the motherboard itself. Also try pressing fn+f4 right after you have reconnected the HDMI in recovery mode