Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
The laptop is an ASUS G50Vt-X1.

Specs:
Centrino 2
Nvidia 9800m GS 512mb
4 gb ddr2
Windows 10

It also has this mini-os that boots up to speed up starting time, there's no option to disable this. Not sure if it could be at fault.

So, this laptop was given to my friend for free, and he couldn't get it to work, so he gave it to me to fix. When I got it, it went to the blue screen. I tried a system restore, which did not work, then did a full reset of the pc. After this, it worked. I downloaded a few apps (CPU-Z, speedfan, etc), and then went to update the driver for the GPU, which is where problems began.

The first time I attempted to install the driver, the computer locked up in a black screen, I had to restart, and I had to system restore, because it would not load. After the system restore, it ran well--so I tried again. The same result. Whenever I install the driver, the computer would crash, but I could still restore it to a point where it could run.

I downloaded WoW to see if this pc would work (my friend wanted to play) and got 4 fps. I waited for the files to download to optimal, and still got 4 fps. After a string of random actions (mostly restores and driver downloads), it played at 60 fps. Only once, as it crashed again right after. Now, it is able to do one of two things: boot up to the Windows loading screen, where the dots spin, freeze, the screen flickers twice and there is no signal (have tried this on both the laptop monitor and an external monitor). The backlight goes out after the screen flickers SOMETIMES, but not all the time, which is the troubling part.

Now, the computer's system restore files will not work, after going through reset pc, it will still refuse to start. I really don't know what to do--there were some issues with vertical lines early on, which leads me to believe it could be a graphics board problem, but again, it functioned at 60 fps in WoW, which seemed to be a healthy sign to me.

I am not able to get passed the start up screen and can therefore not provide dxdiag or what may be asked of me. Would appreciate some help.

What I've tried:
External display
Blowing out the dust
System restore
Pc reset
Start up repair
???

Solution
Hi,

In your case that you've already did a complete factory reset and the graphics driver wouldn't install whatever you do the problem may lie on the graphics card itself starting to fail. What you can do right now since it's not loading Windows is to run another Factory Reset then after the reset try installing the graphics driver using this method from this article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
Hi,

In your case that you've already did a complete factory reset and the graphics driver wouldn't install whatever you do the problem may lie on the graphics card itself starting to fail. What you can do right now since it's not loading Windows is to run another Factory Reset then after the reset try installing the graphics driver using this method from this article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Solution