Okay so I have an Emachines E442 and I was using it one night, turned it off and then it wouldn't turn back on properly. When I try to turn the laptop on, the power button comes up and the battery/screen lights come on but my wifi and hard drive light no longer come on. I can hear my fans blowing, but my computer literally does nothing. I've checked the whole inside and there isn't anything loose or broken. What could be wrong with it?
Your PC might went to a Hibernate mode. First you need to do a hard reset to turn the laptop back on, to do this remove the battery and charger off the laptop then press the power button for 20 secs. Put everything back together then turn it back on. Once the PC is on you need to do couple of more steps to verify if your Power Options is correct.
Checking Power Options:
1. Press Start then type in Power Options in the search box and press enter.
2. Once Power Options is open on the left pane look for "Choose what the power buttons do" then click it.
3. Next to "When I press the power button" make sure "Shut Down" is selected and click on Save changes.
4. Go back to Power Options then next to Balanced click on "Change plan Settings"
5. Click again on "Change advanced power settings"
6. Look for Sleep and expand it, look for "Allow hybrid sleep" and "Hibernate after" and change it to Never or 0.
7. Do the same thing with Hard disk.
8. Click Apply and OK.