Laptop won't connect through ethernet or WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen Murphy

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
I recently got a new modem and I've tried to connect to the Internet both through ethernet and WiFi. The computer recognizes that it's connected and says I have Internet, but then when I try to load a page, it says that there's no connection. I've tried reinstalling the drivers and that didn't work. A family member needs to take a test for a job and I would really appreciate some quick help.

Solution

Since you now know how to get to cmd.exe -- Bring up a new cmd window and type "ipconfig /all" You should get something like below --

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : abcdef.xyz
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-yy-zz-B9-2E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : xxx::yyy:zzz:efe1:f1a9%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . ...

Owen Murphy

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
The laptop is an Asus A53U. The modem/router is a net gear 7550. I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with a "cmd.exe" could you please explain? Thank to you all for the help so far.

Entomber

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
Try this:

it's possible that you had something like a static IP connection set up, go to Network and Sharing Center, "change adapter options" and highlight Internet Protocol v4 (IPv4) and click properties. Make sure both sections say "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain a DNS server automatically" and that the option is ticked.

kanewolf

Judicious

Windows Start button --> Search Programs --> "cmd" --> <click on cmd.exe > --> brings up a "dos" (command) window
type --> ping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [74.125.225.19] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.225.19: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=57
Reply from 74.125.225.19: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 74.125.225.19:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 29ms

That shows that the computer can resolve a network name into an IP address (DNS) and shows that you have network connectivity all the way to google ...

So you have ISP >> cable form outside to inside >> Modem/Router - then connected is the laptop your having problems correct?
The phones can be using Cellular, so do not rely on that, but the KINDLE has to use Wifi, it should NOT have a Cell Phone Service contract on it. If the Kindle can get online to RANDOM webpages / get new books from Amazon, then the connection may be working okay (again the Cellphones will auto switch to 3G/4G if the Wifi isn't working). So it would sound like potentially you may have MALWARE on the laptop.

I would
1) Remove ANY software firewalls (ZoneAlarm, Microsoft just turn it off, etc.).
2) Turn off WIFI
3) Use Ethernet only

then I would do these basics:

Download Speccy and copy the first tab here to show us your specs of this laptop.

Download Malwarebytes and do a FULL (it is on quick as default) Scan, repeat till system is cleaned.

Remove any Antivirus you have (Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't work, and many whom have Norton keep finding it is interfering with program fully working by blocking different parts) and install either Comodo, Avira or AVG from www.filehippo.com (NOT AVAST! as they been hacked and since been unreliable)

Again do a full scan till clean.

Run Windows Update and make sure ALL patches and OPTIONALs (except BING) are installed.

Download and run SlimDrivers to ensure all drivers are up to date.

I am not really believing anything is getting through then, not even the Kindle. I think people are mistaken when they are saying all the NON-Computer devices work, but they are devices with other 'Internet Options'.

1st) Did you contact your ISP to make sure the Modem was registered on their network.
2nd) Did you contact your ISP and have them PROVIDE SUPPORT to you to getting this setup on their service?
3rd) DID YOU CALL YOUR ISP?

I think you see the point here.

Wait a minute. If you never setup the Modem with a computer (a requirement) then how is the phone accessing it? Out of the box, it says you need to set it up, and if this is the ONLY computer you have, then the Modem was never setup, how do you know your phone is connected to it, when you don't even know what the SSID is on it (only viewable via a computer connected directly to the Modem/router when you set it up; Accessing 192.168.0.1 website Wizard walks through and asks SSID NAME? you type in MurphysLaw, now your phones 'see' MurphysLaw as a Wireless Access point to get to.

kanewolf

Judicious

Since you now know how to get to cmd.exe -- Bring up a new cmd window and type "ipconfig /all" You should get something like below --

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : abcdef.xyz
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-yy-zz-B9-2E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : xxx::yyy:zzz:efe1:f1a9%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 01, 2014 9:29:41 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 02, 2014 9:29:41 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 240182601
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-47-xx-xx-yy-yy-zz-zz-2E-01
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

This will tell you (and us) what your network adapter is doing. It identifies if you have DHCP enabled. It shows that you got a valid IP address and it shows what the DNS server is set to. Since it seems you are having DNS problems -- That is important. BUT it might be that your router isn't returning a valid DHCP address and the computer is using the default address. If your IP address isn't a 192.168.x.y address, most likely you didn't get a DHCP response.

Solution
Mar 23, 2018
I had similar issue; tried every suggestions online but nothing worked. Finally, I read a suggestion online and it worked instantly.
Solution: the wifii button (key) on the laptop accidently got clicked and it turned off the WiFii. Click on the Wifii key on the keyboard (next to F12 key) on Dell Laptop and got the WiFii working. Hope this helps your situation also.

Status
Not open for further replies.