Laptop won't connect through switch

James_152

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
I got a HDMI switch to connect my laptop and xbox to a monitor via the only HDMI port on the monitor - the switch detects both sources but only displays the xbox. Both sources connect to the monitor perfectly without the switch. I can't adjust the laptop display down to 1080p (who'd want to do that even if it were possible?!) but still need a switch that will display either source.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks,

James

Solution
no... you don't set the rates at the switch. You set them in your sources. Change your rate at your computer and check the refresh it is trying to use although the refresh may not be setable depending on your display card / interface.

you are trying to test whether you have a switch issue (possible) or a computer issue (also possible).... further and related, what OS are you running on your computer? my guess is its windows 10 :-(((( If so, you may have issues there as I know windows 10 appears to have issues with display "stuff" especially around second display, which you are running because it is a laptop. I had to go back to windows 8.1 to get my laptop to work again.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
what resolution are you actually trying to send thru the switch.... if its too high, depending on the switch, it may not connect. Further if you connect directly to your display, what resolution is the display allowing. IF you are going towards 4k type things, then you have to make sure all equipment in the "loop" can handle it.

James_152

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
Thanks for your response budwich. I'm only using 1380p or thereabouts. I'm guessing that the switch I have is limited to 1080p - the monitor handles it perfectly when connected directly, but unfortunately only has one HDMI port. I'm considering trying to find a switch that explicitly states it can handle higher resolution, could it really be that simple?

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
hmmm... that's seems ok.... although perhaps it depends on the switch. If possible, can you set it to 720p and see if that helps... it may tell you something. Further, check your refresh rate as it likely needs to be 60hz.

James_152

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
Sadly, there's no way to adjust anything on the switch. Not sure how I'd check the refresh rate, but since the Xbox works ok throught the switch, and both sources work ok when connected directly, I'm guessing that it should already be ok?

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
no... you don't set the rates at the switch. You set them in your sources. Change your rate at your computer and check the refresh it is trying to use although the refresh may not be setable depending on your display card / interface.

you are trying to test whether you have a switch issue (possible) or a computer issue (also possible).... further and related, what OS are you running on your computer? my guess is its windows 10 :-(((( If so, you may have issues there as I know windows 10 appears to have issues with display "stuff" especially around second display, which you are running because it is a laptop. I had to go back to windows 8.1 to get my laptop to work again.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS