Laptop wont connect to monitor

5limesimba

Great
Dec 23, 2018
I have read other threads and have found nothing useful. I have a laptop and the screen broke so I removed the monitor and i have it open like a desktop. Now the laptop will not connect to my monitor or another tv but another computer that is not mine connects to both. I have tried signing in and holding windows and hitting p a few times but that doesnt work. my theory is that there is an error message because when i hit enter then escape my pc restarts (i do not have the laptop monitor anymore) it is also randomly shutting off after 10 min - 30 sec SSD is dead or the m.2 slot on my motherboard is dead. The harddrive doesnt spin so the harddrive could be dead or something else... but when i plug in another harddrive with the os on it and remove the ssd it spins and behaves like normal... but i cant see the screen. Could the hdmi port on my motherboard be broken? could my motherboard be broken...? I have been pretending to log in and doing windows p to change the display, but that isnt working so idk if it just isnt booting or wtf is up.

Solution

Hey... it's just time to buy a new laptop or desktop, whichever you prefer.

Beating a dead horse doesn't usually get one anywhere. Just accept that and move on - you will be happier. Having said that, you might be able to use some of the...

5limesimba

Great
Dec 23, 2018
It has been working like this for almost 2 weeks and i have been turning it off and restarting (I unplugged the monitor built in one) On other threads I read some stuff about drivers... I updated almost all my drivers before this happened (including my monitor drivers)

5limesimba

Great
Dec 23, 2018
SSD is dead or the m.2 slot on my motherboard is dead. The harddrive doesnt spin so the harddrive could be dead or something else... but when i plug in another harddrive with the os on it and remove the ssd it spins and behaves like normal... but i cant see the screen. Could the hdmi port on my motherboard be broken? could my motherboard be broken...? I have been pretending to log in and doing windows p to change the display, but that isnt working so idk if it just isnt booting or wtf is up.

5limesimba

Great
Dec 23, 2018
How I hate HP... I have had this for a year and a half and the hinges broke after about a year and because of that the case started to crack and the motherboard and screen started to separate until the monitor just broke off, that is why i did this in the first place, and now it just randomly breaks.

5limesimba

Great
Dec 23, 2018

5limesimba

Great
Dec 23, 2018
I did some testing on it. It boots when i hook up the HDD with the OS on it, but when I try to boot off the SSD it doesn't boot. I just cant get it to switch my my main monitor... going into the bios and doing F4 / fn. I have tried another monitor and another HDMI cable. I have also tested the cable and the other monitors on the laptop i am using right now and they both work.

Mustangace

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Hey... it's just time to buy a new laptop or desktop, whichever you prefer.

Beating a dead horse doesn't usually get one anywhere. Just accept that and move on - you will be happier. Having said that, you might be able to use some of the parts from your dead laptop in the new one, like the M.2 SSD and/or hard drive. Other parts, like RAM, you might be able to sell on eBay to someone in need of them.:)

Solution