Solved! Laptop won't recognize the battery, what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msalcedorivas

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
My battery was working fine until one day it just stopped working, I don't know exactly when, but no more than one/two weeks ago. Now when I unplug the cable it shuts off instantly. I think it happened after I turned the laptop upside down to connect a new HDD, but I don't know how it could have affected, and that's also why I don't think it has to do with the connector pins.

Windows tells me "No battery present" when I click the battery icon and "255% available" when I hover it.

I tried doing a power cycle, disconnecting the battery entirely during the night, updating the bios, uninstalling the battery drivers, and yet nothing works.

I know it's possible it is dead, but shouldn't it have decreased in capacity over time or something instead of just dying suddenly? This problem was present when I got the laptop from a cousin a year ago, back then it didn't recognize the battery at all (no 255% stuff, just said not connected) until 3 months ago I disassembled it to change the thermal paste and when I reassembled it the battery just worked, I don't know why, and now it died again. So, I don't believe it is actually dead and I think I can do something to make it work again, but I don't know what, so I need help from one of you guys.

Also, why even when connected it just shuts off when I unplug it, shouldn't the battery, even if windows doesn't recognize it, keep it on?
(should I put it in the freezer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.