Laptop won't turn on if bottom cover is on

pencilpusha

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
I find myself having a peculiar problem with my laptop. The other day it simply wouldnt turn on. I attempted the electrostatic discharge trick to no avail. I let it sit without charger or battery for a few hours, and boom, its on. Next day, same thing, no power. I decided to open it up to look for any issues (not a hardware novice) and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I turned it on first try with the bottom cover off (mobo exposed). I rebooted a few times to see the success rate (100%). I then put everything back together, and bam, no power. Rinsed and repeated. The laptop runs just fine without the cover, but if its on and happens to turn on, the screen flickers (not a new issue, but rarely occured until now. LCD wires are NOT being pinched by the case) and sometimes turns off for no apparent reason. So something about the cover is making this laptop go haywire. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll try to answer any quest to the best of my ability. Thanks!

Computer: HP Envy 17-J021NR

Solution
Seems that the only logical explanation for this would be some cables being pinched by the case, or the case is pushing against something causing it to short out. If possible, try to put a piece of paper between the case and the mobo. Make sure when you close the case that it isnt putting pressure on any point of the motherboard where it could be bending or pushing against other components, keyboard etc.

Keep an eye out for any metal that could touch the motherboard when the case is closed.

Laptop_Issues

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Seems that the only logical explanation for this would be some cables being pinched by the case, or the case is pushing against something causing it to short out. If possible, try to put a piece of paper between the case and the mobo. Make sure when you close the case that it isnt putting pressure on any point of the motherboard where it could be bending or pushing against other components, keyboard etc.

Keep an eye out for any metal that could touch the motherboard when the case is closed.

Solution