Laptop won't turn on or charge after bios update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018
DEVICE: DELL INSPIRON N5010

My laptop DELL INSPIRON N5010 won't just turn on after a BIOS update. I tried to charge ant Nothing... IT IS DEAD!

My Device is out of warranty and I really don't know what to do. I tried replacing the BIOS battery but still no hope. Please help me out with this issue.

Solution

It's bricked. The BIOS firmware is code designed to run on specific hardware. If you install the wrong BIOS, you've basically loaded the computer with boot-up instructions that it can't follow because of mismatching hardware. This also removes any way for you to install the correct BIOS (unless you moved the BIOS chip to a N5110 and instaled the N5010 BIOS update onto it).

You might be able to replace the BIOS chip with a functional one containing the correct firmware for your laptop. I cannot guarantee the reliability of the seller nor the BIOS replacement procedure. From the eBay listing, it looks like it requires fine soldering equipment...
Jun 25, 2018

Hi,

I downloaded the update from the dell's official website. I've tried the above mention method but still no hope.
I found that I've installed the update for N5110 accidentally on my N5010 laptop.
Please help me out..

It's bricked. The BIOS firmware is code designed to run on specific hardware. If you install the wrong BIOS, you've basically loaded the computer with boot-up instructions that it can't follow because of mismatching hardware. This also removes any way for you to install the correct BIOS (unless you moved the BIOS chip to a N5110 and instaled the N5010 BIOS update onto it).

You might be able to replace the BIOS chip with a functional one containing the correct firmware for your laptop. I cannot guarantee the reliability of the seller nor the BIOS replacement procedure. From the eBay listing, it looks like it requires fine soldering equipment and skills.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-Dell-Inspiron-15-N5010-N5030-N5040-N5050-M5010-M5030-No-Password-/130931608561

Given the age of the laptop, I'd suggest just getting a new one.

Solution
Jun 25, 2018

Thank you for your the suggestion. I'll try replacing the BIOS chip if possible. If That dosen't work I Buy a New Laptop. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.