Laptop won't turn on

Sarah Leeson

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Hi,
I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e. I got it at the start of the year and it's always been fine with turning on. I've had it restarted and wiped two times. I normally just close the lid and let it sleep instead of shutting it down completely but last night I decided to plug it into charge and 'update and shut down' as my laptop kept telling me it needed to update. This morning I unplugged it but it wouldn't turn on. I've tried holding the button down for ages or just pressing it quick before letting go but nothing will work. When I plug it in the little light on the 'i' in the word 'Thinkpad' flashes 3 times in red. I've also tried different power points just in case it was the power source that wasn't working but it still won't turn on.
Please help asap because I need my laptop back!

Solution
Lenovo laptops can do strange things much like you have explained Sarah.

And often it fails to power on and then the laptop shuts down after a matter of seconds.

It often happens for example when the keyboard of the laptop fails.
Or the HDD or optical drive of the system has a loose connection, so would have a go at removing both then slotting them back into place Sarah.

It can also refuse to power up, boot, or post due to any kind of usb device connected to any of the laptops usb ports.
So if you have anything like a Usb flash drive ect connected. remove it and then try to power the system on.

I can tell you through experience also that if the keyboard of the laptop has failed the laptop will not power on.
To check if this is the...

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,
Maybe your battery won't charge anymore. Can you get to the BIOS ? There you can check if the power supply or the battery is dead !

Have you tried Changing the CMOS battery ? the battery that keeps the information of the BIOS !

start from there and let us know !
Cheers, Louise !

Shaun o

Distinguished
Lenovo laptops can do strange things much like you have explained Sarah.

And often it fails to power on and then the laptop shuts down after a matter of seconds.

It often happens for example when the keyboard of the laptop fails.
Or the HDD or optical drive of the system has a loose connection, so would have a go at removing both then slotting them back into place Sarah.

It can also refuse to power up, boot, or post due to any kind of usb device connected to any of the laptops usb ports.
So if you have anything like a Usb flash drive ect connected. remove it and then try to power the system on.

I can tell you through experience also that if the keyboard of the laptop has failed the laptop will not power on.
To check if this is the fault, you can connect a usb desktop keyboard to the Lenovo laptop.

And then try to power it up.
If it does power up Sarah, it means that for your model of lenovo laptop you need to buy a new keyboard.
You can get one by simply entering Lenovo and its model number into Ebay to get hold of a new keyboard replacement costing about £10 to £12.

Once the new Keyboard is fitted to the laptop.
It should power on by the power key of the laptop without any problems.

PS: The red Flashing when trying to power the laptop on.
Is part of the power up and hardware testing of the laptop indicating a part of the laptop came back as an error, or failed the check made by the bios to see if all hardware such as the keyboard of the laptop is working correctly, and every key of the keyboard is.

Solution