Solved! Laptop won't turn on

Oct 23, 2018
My laptop turned off suddenly and won't turn back on. My charger is working as the green light is on but when I plug it into my laptop the orange light doesn't turn on to indicate my laptop is charging. My laptop is 7 years old but do you think getting a new battery would fix it?

Solution
Not, if it does not turn on a new battery is not likely to help since it should turn on without the battery as long as the charger is good. Most likely thing is that the motherboard is bad.
Oct 23, 2018

Thank you for the reply. It also started making a static sound when the charger is plugged in. I think that might be from the fan which I know isn't working because my laptop would overheat a lot. Do you know how much it would cost to replace the motherboard? Its an acer laptop.

If you need someone to do the work, I would just buy a replacement. Even a used working one of the same model as yours, and just plop your drive in it. You can get a good 3-4-5 year old laptop for $200 or less for some models. If you get a different one than yours, don't move the drive over since it will likely not boot or crash often.