Laptop wont turn on

G

I have a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus - NG940X3G.

It was given to me by someone in my family because it broke and no longer has a warranty, they got a new laptop so I get to keep this one. The power LED lights up blue when I press the power button but it won't turn on. The screen stays black and the CPU fans start for a second and then stop. I'm assuming it's not posting. When I turn it off the F5 button and capslock button both blink blue.

I am more familiar with fixing desktops so I am not sure what to do with this one. I tried taking out the battery and powering it only from the charger and it did the same thing. Pretty much everything is onbard so I can't test if the RAM or GPU (laptop uses integrated graphics anyway) is the issue.

It seems to be a great laptop so I'd love to be able to fix it.

Is there anyway to test certain spots on the motherboard with a multi-meter to rule out the motherboard being the problem.

Danke,

Umlaut.

Solution
If the fan stops, that's a bad sign. Last thing you can try is, if the thing has a VGA/HDMI port, hook it up to an external monitor and try ur luck.

That's correct, laptop different animal than desktop. A recent desktop builder was so proud of this accomplishment posts, "great, now let me build my own laptop" No Johnny, that's a whole different ball of wax.
If the fan stops, that's a bad sign. Last thing you can try is, if the thing has a VGA/HDMI port, hook it up to an external monitor and try ur luck.

That's correct, laptop different animal than desktop. A recent desktop builder was so proud of this accomplishment posts, "great, now let me build my own laptop" No Johnny, that's a whole different ball of wax.

Solution