Laptop won't un-hibernate

gyoungdahl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I have my friends Lenovo laptop here to try and resolve his issue, which is that it won't come out of hibernation. I mean in no situation does it ever try to boot anymore, it immediately goes to a screen that says "Your computer can't come out of hibernation", with an error code of 0xc000000d.

Pressing the power button or holding it for several seconds, or removing the power and the battery for overnight doesn't change anything. I put a Ubuntu LiveCD in (using an external USB3 connected drive) and it boots up from that, but then refuses to mount the laptop's SSD, saying it is in hibernation mode. I would assume the same thing would happen if I removed the SSD from the laptop, put it into an external USB case and connect it to my desktop Linux box (though I've not tried that yet). It seems to suggest that I could mount it in read-only mode, so perhaps I could recover data from it, but I've not done that yet either (that would probably be a last resort).

I can get into the BIOS, and I've gotten to the F8 boot menu, but even trying to boot into SAFE mode ends me up at the same "Your computer can't come out of hibernation" screen. I've searched several times, and there are numerous threads with that error - but all the solutions seem to assume you can get it to boot, bypassing the hibernation file (holding the power switch or such), and are basically explaining how to disable the computer from going into hibernation any more. I think that resolution would be fine with my friend, if only I could get it to boot up so I could do that.

So... any ideas as to how to circumvent this? In case it matters, I believe the OS is Win7, though I'm not sure if it is Home or Pro (or whatever designations may be). My friend doesn't have any recovery disks, I don't know if he should have made them himself when he bought the computer, or if they were provided and he misplaced them, but either way they aren't available. The computer is a few years old (out of warranty). I have Win7 on one of the computers I built, but it was an OEM disk from TigerDirect, so I'm not sure if that would contain recovery tools that a retail version might have.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Solution
You can convert the Windows 7 setup to a USB stick using Microsoft's tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

But you'll need a valid Windows 7 DVD or an .iso file to put onto the USB drive. That tool will make it bootable. If you can do that, you should be able to then boot from the USB drive (make sure Secure Boot in your BIOS setup is disabled), then run said command line from the repair options.

As far as I know, the media is the same between retail and OEM, only the product key is the identifier.

gyoungdahl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
By repair disk I assume you mean a Windows distribution disk or the recovery disks for the computer? Or is there some sort of open source or such repair disk that I might be able to download an iso of? I did try booting the laptop from a ubuntu LiveCD, and it ran, but I tried to mount the Windows partition and it refused, saying the drive was in hibernate mode.

If there were some sort of Linux utility or whatever that could defeat this hibernation, I could remove the drive from the laptop and drop it into an external case w/USB3, and connect it to my tower system which is running Linux.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Windows installation disk and using the troubleshooting tools included in it. That particular command would be executed within the cmd tool within System Recovery Options on Windows 7 and is not a command for Linux. You can make a bootable disk from another Windows 7 machine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/17423/windows-7-create-system-repair-disc

No idea how to configure Windows power saving settings from a Linux machine. If you can mount the volume with a Linux based recovery OS like Gparted, you could try manually deleting the Hiberfil.sys from C: or moving it to somewhere else temporarily. Doing the same to pagefile.sys may help.

gyoungdahl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Well, I created a system repair disk (CD) on my Windows 7 64-bit tower system. That seemed to go fine (on the computer where I made it I could view a directory structure and files and such), but when I put it into an external CD/DVD drive attached to the problem laptop and try to boot from it, it says the disk isn't bootable. It will boot my Linux LiveCD from that drive. So is there something I need to do to make a disk like that which will boot? Or is that just some tools to operate on a system that is already booted?

I followed the instructions at your link to create the disk, I saw no option to specify making it bootable. It was pretty simple - put the disk in and tell it to create the repair disk. The subsequent section of the directions seemed to imply that the disk should boot, but it didn't (and my Linux LiveCD would boot from the same drive - under essentially the same procedure).

I should be able to turn up the disk that I used to install Win7 on my tower, but I believe that was installed from an OEM disk which I bought from TigerDirect a few (2-3 ?) years ago. I was under the impression that the OEM disks didn't contain repair tools? Maybe thats not correct. I may also be able to find a friend who has a retail copy of Win7 installation disk, if that would be an option.

I had the laptop booted from the Ubuntu LiveCD, and it ran there but it wouldn't mount the laptop's C: partition, with some message saying it was in hibernation mode. It suggested that I might be able to mount it in read-only mode to view (and perhaps recover) files, but I doubt that would allow me to remove (or rename) the hyberfil.sys file.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Can you boot from this recovery CD using the tower PC? It should be bootable after running the disc creation tool in recovery. I would try that first to see if the disk is the problem. If Windows lets you create the CD then it should be at least bootable and contain Repair options.

You can actually modify a hibernated Windows partition in rw mode with some tricks but it would be best to try to see if we can access the Windows System Recovery Options first. Modifying Windows system files in Linux can be risky. Last resort.

gyoungdahl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Well, it seems that the CD won't boot in my tower PC either. You say "running the disk creation tool in recovery". I was just running the computer normally, went to Start, found a menu item to create a recovery disk and thats what I ran. Is there some other mode I need to get into ("recovery"?) that lets me create a bootable disk? Do I need to be in some sort of "recovery" mode that then will allow the disk to boot?

Do you think it makes any difference that my tower computer was installed off a an "OEM" distribution disk that I purchased from Tiger Direct some time ago? I was under the impression that the OEM disks didn't contain all of the tools and such that a retail distribution disk contains?

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
I've only used the Windows Recovery disc creator tool a once so I can't say. I always use a retail disc or USB if I cannot boot Windows and the PC doesn't have system recovery options installed by the OEM. If you ran the tool, the disc should be bootable. I know that retail disks always bootable have recovery tools though. Most OEM PCs in these times do not ship with recovery disks but have either a recovery partition or the System Recovery Options accessible from the F8 menu.

I recommend trying to borrow that retail Windows 7 DVD. It should work without issue.

Another alternative is try to use rufus (or Windows USB/DVD Download Tool) and a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft to create a bootable USB.

You can convert the Windows 7 setup to a USB stick using Microsoft's tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

But you'll need a valid Windows 7 DVD or an .iso file to put onto the USB drive. That tool will make it bootable. If you can do that, you should be able to then boot from the USB drive (make sure Secure Boot in your BIOS setup is disabled), then run said command line from the repair options.

As far as I know, the media is the same between retail and OEM, only the product key is the identifier.

Solution