Question Laptop works very slow after formating

Jan 12, 2020
Alright so I have a Dell Latitude E7240, and its battery broke so i use it without a battery by just charging it directly through the power supply. I had Windows 7 before and had to clean up some things so I decided to upgrade it to Windows 8.0, at that point the laptop started working very slow, so I thought i got a bad windows copy, however I found a windows 8.1 copy with all the required components, activation key and all the windows updates and the laptop still runs very slow. I can't hear any fan noise and it stays cold, it doesn't get warm or anything as it used to before and works very slow compared to how it worked before, I think it's due to it not having a battery at all however when I had Windows 7 it had the same circumstances and worked perfectly fine even without battery, could it be any settings from the BIOS that control power management due to it not having a battery or anything particular? I also set the power management to High Performance, and still no changes, I don't hear any noise, it doesn't get warm a single bit, works very slow even if it only has one Chrome page open. I don't really want to buy a new battery just to make it work as I know there should be a setting to tweak as it used to work perfectly fine before. Thanks in advance.

It could be that your system isn't capable of handling the newer OS well. It could also be that some of the drivers that came with the new OS are not working correctly with your laptop. In that case those drivers would need to be replaced with the older ones.

Additionally, the new OS and anything else it installed, would have changed settings. You can try checking as to what is running as soon as Windows starts to load to see if there is anything(s) running in the background using up resources.

NOTE: Be very careful messing around in the place I am giving instructions on below. Changing the wrong thing can cause you a lot more problems than you are trying to fix. Additionally, don't mess with the other tabs in it unless you know what you are doing.

1. Go to "Start" and then in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes).
  2. Click on the "Startup" tab and check what programs are loading when Windows loads.
  3. Uncheck the boxes next to the programs you don't want running automatically. Just don't uncheck anything without being certain that it is OK to stop auto loading and that you actually know what the program does.
  4. Once you are done, save your changes and the computer should prompt you to restart it.