Laptops at i7 7th gen, GTX 1060/1070, with a 17" screen?

Jaye__

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Hello! I've been searching for days for a good laptop with the above specs. Would you recommend any good ones?

I've been looking at the MSI GE72VR Apache Pro-010 17". So far it's the cheapest and the most fairly reviewed one I've seen. Although it only has its i7 at 6700 :( But with the price tag of $1,199.00 it's really hard to complain.

Update: Sorry forgot to mention that I would be mostly editing videos, color grading, and visual effects (2d). Gaming isn't much of a priority.

Solution
"Gaming isn't much of a priority." - OP

Alienware are overpriced Dell's with fancy lighting and gaming-orientated marketing this is pretty common knowledge among most laptop gamers (tech savvy ones mind you). I am aware Aorus are expensive, if you read my post i said "the website allows you to sort by CPU/GPU generation and screen size and see if anything catches your eye". Since it should give him a brief look at what to expect for Hardware/Screen Sizes. He should be looking for something with a nice quality screen for his photo/video editing and a laptop that is cool/quiet yet has competent hardware for these tasks maybe an i7 with GTX 1060/1070 should be more than enough. 16GB RAM and a good storage drive would also be handy but...

CRO5513Y

Prominent
Herald
Mar 15, 2017
Why so desperate on a i7 7th gen? It's like a 5-10% performance boost at most, a 6700 will serve you fine for gaming with a 1060/1070.

Check out Aorus range if you want, the website allows you to sort by CPU/GPU generation and screen size and see if anything catches your eye. Other than that Gigabyte have some nice slim gaming laptops and so does Dell i hear but avoid Alienware.

Link to Auros website > https://www.aorus.com/product-list.php?t=35

Jaye__

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

Not really desperate but I'm just trying to see if there are other options at 7th gen. But I've also ben drawn to its advertising :p

Oh I haven't checked Aorus products yet since they're not really popular in my home country. Thanks!

Aorus laptops are pretty pricey.

Jaye__

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

Yes seems like it :(

GamerDave20

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Why would you avoid Alienware?

My 17R4 purchased Nov. 2016 meets OP criteria well.
May be costly (~$2200 before warranty) but has 6820, 1070, & 4k. (they now have 7th gen).
Aorus would be more $.

Have 2TB of SSD (1TB is additional M.2 2280 drive and was another $250 purchased later).
No optical disk.

The computer is work of art and very solid.

Drawbacks are that it's large and heavy. Processor runs hot (i've actually hit 100C on one of the cores while gaming). BTW, the 1070 is fairly cool - never gets over 70-72C while gaming. There are a few quirks when using external display. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested.

It needs repaste on processor but it's quite complicated to get to the processor on this system and I'm not going to void my 4 year warranty - I'll let it burn up before I do that.

I don't know for sure, but expect most or all of these type systems have a few flaws.

I find it hard to favor 1 system over another if you haven't actually seen them all. This is a good question to ask before dropping this kind of money.

Dave

CRO5513Y

Prominent
Herald
Mar 15, 2017
"Gaming isn't much of a priority." - OP

Alienware are overpriced Dell's with fancy lighting and gaming-orientated marketing this is pretty common knowledge among most laptop gamers (tech savvy ones mind you). I am aware Aorus are expensive, if you read my post i said "the website allows you to sort by CPU/GPU generation and screen size and see if anything catches your eye". Since it should give him a brief look at what to expect for Hardware/Screen Sizes. He should be looking for something with a nice quality screen for his photo/video editing and a laptop that is cool/quiet yet has competent hardware for these tasks maybe an i7 with GTX 1060/1070 should be more than enough. 16GB RAM and a good storage drive would also be handy but will push the price up even more. I'm not bashing anyone with Alienware system's but when recommending systems for people i would often steer them away for good reason.

Solution