Solved! Laptops & Dust

Crink78

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Hello,

I have always had desktops but am looking into a laptop for my next purchase.

In my desktop, dust is a constant battle. It gets all into my PC parts and even accumulates into a sticky dust that stays around unless I manually clean with something other than air and a vacuum.

So my question is, how do laptops deal with this? How do you keep the insides clean from clogging up with sticky dust and when that build up happens, how do you clean it?

The laptop I am looking at has great air flow. It is the Asus G73SW but with that airflow will come lots and lots of dust. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Solution

Not necessarily, you wont lose warranty I would trying contacting the manufacturer just like I did with acer they said opening up the laptop and putting new thermal paste will not void warranty. Warranty gets voided if added any third party hardware that didnt come with the oem. And agreed some laptops are a pain some aren't. Asus should be easier to take apart then lets says hp, dell and acer in my experiences.

Crink78

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
So how much can you typically get to? Do you know if this deep cleaning would void the warranty if I take it apart? Is that typically a big deal to take them apart or rather simple?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
If you take any laptop apart you will lose your warranty immediately.remember that.Get a can filled with air and spray a little inside the laptop.That helps with the dust.Taking them apart is not that easy.

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

Not necessarily, you wont lose warranty I would trying contacting the manufacturer just like I did with acer they said opening up the laptop and putting new thermal paste will not void warranty. Warranty gets voided if added any third party hardware that didnt come with the oem. And agreed some laptops are a pain some aren't. Asus should be easier to take apart then lets says hp, dell and acer in my experiences.

Solution
^This.

It will vary from company to company. I know opening the cases on Sager laptops are both easy and will not void warranties. As for cleaning, just get a can of compressed air and blow the vents out on a regular basis. If that isn't enough, take the laptop apart and use Rubbing Alcohol (70% or higher) and Q-tips to clean the dust.

Crink78

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Thank you for all the feedback. I think I will contact Asus on what they official policy is on cleaning maintenance for their G73 laptops to be sure I do not void my warranty as some have suggested.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I was referring to Apple products.I had an asus and they told me never open the laptop without an authorized asus repair shop doing it.