Laptop's monitor works selectively

DHVPP_

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Hi i've got a HP laptop running a Windows 10 on it. A day ago after a restart, my laptop screen stayed black but the wifi light was white(it has 3 states, off when a laptop is off, red when pc is about to shut down or start up or in sleep mode, and white when its running) which indicates that laptop was running. So i thought of it as a glitch or whatever and i plugged out a battery so it would force a shutdown and so it did. After that it booted as if nothing happened. A few hours later again, i shut it down and started again just to encounter the same problem so i plugged it on an external monitor and it indeed worked on that monitor which means my graphichs card is fine. My brother then suggested to restart laptop again just to see what happens and at my surprise screen worked again. 3rd time, after a few hours i again restarted it just to find myself having the same problem with my screen being black and wifi light indicating it works fine. I downloaded windows 10 from my university's site and started the instalation and then my external monitor went off, then my laptop screen went on and then both of them went off for a sec. After a few moments my laptopscreen went on and that was it. For a whole day it was working perfectly with screen being ok even after multiple restarts. But today, it got even worse. First, with screen not working i started my laptop on an external monitor then i started an instalation of windows 10 education version without it being on a bootable device, it got as far as a first restart and then it puts my laptop in some kind of a sleep mode where it neither starts nor it shutsdown and coolers work. Laptop light is red and shutdown button doesnt do anything. When i first forced a shutdown and started it again it waited for like 30 seconds and then the light changed to white and started a system "normaly" and showed "windows instalation failed on some proccess APPLYING_IMAGE".

Sorry for the longpost but that's the whole explanation of my problem from the starting point till now. Hope someone knows what's up.

Thanks in advance

Solution

The "black screen of death" can be fixed using the following steps.
First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the power...

mbilal2

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from DHVPP_ : "Laptop Screen problem"

Why did you do install windows 10 over and over? That was not necessary. Anyways *right now* when you turn on the computer what happens? Does the indicator light turn white? Use a torch on the screen. Do you faintly see your desktop or anything on it? Maybe the backlight of your laptop screen is the issue.

DHVPP_

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks for the reply, but it's not the backlight problem as it's still black. What distances me from the dead screen idea is that it sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt. What i think the problem somehow lays with windows as the pc has problems while starting up(just for this few days i described in my problem, before it worked good) that's why i tried the windows installation but the frist one didnt finish, it was just started and after the screen went on i stopped it. Just the second one went on till the first restart.

I hope you got an explanation of any kind to my problem. thanks.

mbilal2

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

The "black screen of death" can be fixed using the following steps.
First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the power button.
Next unplug the laptop and then remove the battery.
Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds.
Release the button and plug in the computer (do not put the battery back in).
Press the start button and the display should return.
If this does not work, try it again up to four times.

You are basically trying to get rid of any current in the system and starting fresh. let me know if it doesn't work.

Good Luck!

Solution

DHVPP_

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017

hey man thanks a lot, this solves my problem for a good part of it.

Now, the screen works but it takes like extra 20 seconds from my hp boot logo till the windows start up screen.
Also, if i close the laptop and open it again the problem comes back but after i redo your solution it works again. Do you by any chance have a solution to that?

mbilal2

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

See if this helps: click HERE. I would try the last option first. Also go to task manager and click on start up tab. Disable all third party softwares except your anti-virus, Audio driver and display driver (nvidia, amd, Realtek, etc). That should make booting faster.