laptops with ability to add a gpu

cryingday

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I was looking to buy a gaming laptop with the possibility to add a gpu at a later date. Do such beasts exist? Should I just ask the techies of MSI, Sager, ibuypower, etc to find out? Does anyone have any experience or success finding such a laptop?

Solution
Short answer: Not a single laptop on the market has this capability.

Long answer: There is a solution that I've heard about that is essentially a PCI 3.0 to USB 3.0 cage that you can install any desktop GPU in and connect it to any laptop's USB port, and that will allow you to get some graphics horsepower, I'm not sure who makes this part though.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Short answer: Not a single laptop on the market has this capability.

Long answer: There is a solution that I've heard about that is essentially a PCI 3.0 to USB 3.0 cage that you can install any desktop GPU in and connect it to any laptop's USB port, and that will allow you to get some graphics horsepower, I'm not sure who makes this part though.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Not all Lenovo Y series can though, and even then the mobile GPUs are not the same as their desktop counterparts. Dual GTX 670M would be about the equivalent of a desktop Radeon 7850.

cryingday

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading about thhat in MaximumPC Magazine. Time for me to start googlin'. ^^ Thanks for your reply.