Laptops with upgradeable graphics?

LummusMaximus

Honorable
I know the 99% of laptops do not have upgradeable graphics, but i just want a future-proof laptop. I know those two words don't usually go together, but what specific laptops would have graphics cards that are user modifiable?

And before anyone mentions it, I already have a desktop. I need the mobility of a laptop.

Anything with an MXM module. Clevo (and rebranded Clevo) laptops tend to be the cheapest and easiest to find.

However, laptops with upgradeable graphics tend to be quite bulky and not particularly portable.

If you're after mobility, you may be better off getting a thin-and-light, and gaming at home.

The problem isn't as much as laptops that have changable graphics cards, as they do, it's that in 3 years, there is no cards to upgrade to that work with the model because they either change the socket or the bios just doesn't support it, the laptop bios being the usual crippling factor.

Say you buy a laptop today with a 720 graphics card in it. You had the option to go up to a 790, but didn't. Later this year a 800 series comes out, then next year a 900 series. Your games are now slow, and you want to upgrade. The problem is that laptop bios was left in the wind a while ago. It will support up to the 790 it was orginally designed to handle, but nothing higher. Even though the 800 and 900 series are socket compatible, use the same power requirements but the bios doesn't support it so it doesn't work.

That's actually more related to CPUs than GPUs.

GPUs are usually either soldered (non replaceable, even within the same series) or MXM modules, which are basically PCIe cards without the integrated cooler - that's part of the chassis.

MXM should be upgradeable for as long as the standard remains.

LummusMaximus

Honorable

Excellent, because I know the graphics are usually something of a bottleneck... Right? But graphics can be bottlenecked by CPU, can't they? Anyway, I'm a bit off track, So, are the any specific models you can think of with this MXM functionality? You mentioned Clevos, and the only boutiques I can think of who do those are Origin (bit pricy) and Sager. I'd prefer the functionality in a big-name manufacturer's body, such as Dell or HP (kinda bad examples) or Acer or Toshiba?

LummusMaximus

Honorable

Well, that's fair enough from a business perspective. So would all of the Alienwares have this functionality? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't alienwares overpriced? That leaves the Clevos. So, what would a good place to get Clevos?