Large Hadron Collider Hit By French Bread Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Aside from not actually begging the question, it does raise the question of why there isn't a god-damned roof over the LHC if it's this vulnerable...

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
^Agreed. If your whole operation can be taken down by something as trivial as this, I don't even want to know what would happen if, say an aircraft crash-landed there, or even a minor meteor strike.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]seriously.... isn't the LHC supposed to be underground? how the hell does a bird get in there?[/citation]The article clearly states:
on the overground part
I agree with the other though, where is the roof or shed with spinning tin pans for scaring away birds?

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Scientists are stupid, really really stupid
Sure they build 'dump caverns' in case something goes wrong, but building a shack or something around sensitive equipment... they didn't even THINK of that. I bet there's only one working bathroom in the place.

TheLighterHalf

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
the theory is that the hadron event theyre trying to see, a little bit of dark matter coming into existence, is so unbelievably unnatural and against the rules of reality that if it ever does happen, it would literally go back from that point in the future to stop itself from occuring, at this present point. i guess that comes in the form of bread... at least the laws of the universe have a sense of humor...

animal_chin

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]seriously.... isn't the LHC supposed to be underground? how the hell does a bird get in there?[/citation]

This. Read the Times article everybody!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/space/13lhc.html?pagewanted=all

Here is a quote from the article:

"A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather."

These crazy scientists were right!

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
its wierd that all these things keep going wrong with something so expensive that took years of planning, im all for finding the god particle, but wats the sense if we find a black hole first?

jalt

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]Scientists are stupid, really really stupidSure they build 'dump caverns' in case something goes wrong, but building a shack or something around sensitive equipment... they didn't even THINK of that. I bet there's only one working bathroom in the place.[/citation]

Yep, it's on the surface, with the bird's nest in the eaves....

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]xaira[/nom]its wierd that all these things keep going wrong with something so expensive that took years of planning, im all for finding the god particle, but wats the sense if we find a black hole first?[/citation]

Someone has put forward the theory that it's being sabotaged from the future by people who know that it's a REALLY bad idea to start it up. Pretty funny stuff... you can probably find a rant online somewhere.

I tend to think that the risk is very small (negligable according to Physicists I know) and the knowledge to be gained could be huge... so it's worth it.

G

It is underground, they said an above ground part. But ahh, what part above ground would cause the ring deep underground to heat up.

What did it drop it on the power lines and short them out or something. Doesn't make much sense.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]seriously.... isn't the LHC supposed to be underground? how the hell does a bird get in there?[/citation]

And where in hell does he get the money for a baguette??

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
lol either it was one massive bread crumb or that is one fragile, poorly planned design. You'd figure with they built a majority of it underground for safety reasons that they would put a bit of effort into shielding any parts of it above ground. I'd like to see what a squirrel could do to that thing.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
http://www.google.com
search: 9.6 kelvin in fahrenheit

9.6 kelvin = -442.39 degrees Fahrenheit

Oh noes!! These supercooled magnets that are still over 400 degrees below zero are gonna SPLODE!

Give me a break, and stop wondering why something so small as bread could hinder a person in their quest to keep something cooled to -456.25 (1.9k). Its, not, hard.

The system would shut down and most of it would still be really, really cold. The dump areas really would be the main concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.