Large Hadron Collider Hit By French Bread Bomb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Chances of an explosive chain reaction are slim to none. I mean, the thermal exhaust port is only 2 meters wide. It even has ray shielding!

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
And they reassured us not to worry about mini-black holes 'coz a bird can bring down the LHC using a "bread bomb" before anything worse could happen.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
The hardon collider is basically a nuclear reactor thinned out in a circular track designed to ram atoms together at specific areas of the track where sensitive equipment are placed to capture it all.

somebody i met who worked on a collider explained it to my in layman terms

Imagine a NASCAR track where 2 cars go around the track but at different directions and when the two get up to speed they then merge into a single lane set for a collision course where on one specific area of the track is high speed cameras to take the shot of exactly where the high speed collision is to occur. If a boulder is on the track, causing one of the cars to derail or veer off course, it would either slow down into the pit area, or slam into the sidewall or the collision would occur where no high speed camera is at to record the footage. Everything is made perfect and timed perfect to get the cars up to 150mph speed and tweaks are being made to get them to collide faster at 250mph and possible 350mph all within the target zone

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]stupid f**king bird[/citation]

Are you serious? Hey I guess the new trend is to accuse nature for radioactive projects, that high risk. Its like when there is trafic or you are late for an appointement or work and you looks on the side from inside your car, looking at the trees ( if any ) and go ike "stupid trees" cause we could just chop them down and expand everywhere.

Stupid birds.. lol!?

G

This thing may be the answer to why we seem to be alone in the universe. Intelligent life forms inevitably experiment until they get swallowed up by a self-created black hole, every time.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
You know, when I was in South America and they had to protect something from raid or such, they put a corrugated steel or aluminum roof over it. Costs like $8 per 4-foot section or something.

With the multi-billion dollar LHC, they somehow missed this?

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
so a piece of, what we here in America call, french bread falls from the sky and causes a multi-billion dollar piece of equipment to heat up by 8 kelvin(12 F or 7 C)?

for perspective water boils at 372 kelvin, nitrogen liquefies at 77 kelvin and freezes at 68 kelvin, hell may freeze over at the 1.9 kelvin this thing fires at.

I'm just curious what would happen if this thing hit 200 kelvin, wonder if all it would take is a PB&J sandwich.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
It´s a bird from the future The Birdinator with it´s futuristic mankiller bread baguette!!! Múááá this is only the biggining for Skyntet and it´s birdinators, tremble when they manage to create FLynators!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.