Largest, Reliable, Television.

David Ralph

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I'm looking for a television that is somewhere around the 270 dollar mark that is large in screen size, and yet isn't a weird off brand that's going to die within a year. I'm not looking for any super specific size, but it has to be large enough to be easily seen from a distance of more than 7 feet. Preferably also has at least 1 HDMI port. Thanks! 48-50 inch? I know that's very far fetched but I can dream! :)

Solution
You could try Seiki if you go up a little higher. I can't find the exact model I have right now, but they make solid TVs with excellent features for what you pay.

http://www.hhgregg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=10154&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=24&searchTerm=seiki#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:list&minPrice:&maxPrice:&

USAFRet

Illustrious

$270 + large + not off brand.
You're going to have to be a bit more specific.
In a certain price range, there's not a lot of differences.

What TV's have you seen in your local area, for that price?

David Ralph

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Just about every brand you can imagine, Samsung, Vizio, Insignia, and a handful of other makers... I was just asking to see if anyone had found a "diamond in the rough," so to speak

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I have had to replace blown-leaking capacitors in the power supply in 2 lower end TVs in the past few years, but at least I got 3+ years out of them before problems started. They tend to use low quality Chinese-made capacitors. I replaced them with Japanese-made caps, higher quality and so far so good.

I bought a bare-bones LG 42inch about 3 years ago and it gets a lot of use and no problems so far. It does have one HDMI port, and the typical RCA jacks to connect a DVD player, but not much else. Was under $300 at Fryes. If you have a MicroCenter near you, they have lots of choices also.

Edit: The LG uses an external power supply (like a laptop), which is the first time I have seen that in a TV, so hopefully I won't have problems like in the past.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

My LG TV (about 27") also has an external power supply whereas my 29" Samsung does not, so it does seem to be a thing they do. It's actually nice because your ordinary Joe can replace an external power supply but can't mess with an internal one. There's a reason I don't buy those cheap brands, and it's exactly as you said: leaking capacitors. And other long-term reliability issues for that matter. I'm a pretty firm believe in "you get what you pay for", and if a TV is really cheap and has great specs, you know somehow the production costs went down.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I almost couldn't replace the caps. I didn't realize they now use a higher melting point solder than the high lead content solder I have in my toolbox. My soldering iron wouldn't melt it, but luckily I also have a soldering gun in the shop that did the trick.

Edit: Same issue with computer monitors, have replaced caps in 2 of them so far>

David Ralph

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

What's wrong with this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-49-class-48-5-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/4808500.p?id=bb4808500&skuId=4808500&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=07f37624-87ea-49ea-b99f-e08242eeb2bc&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg70952&ksdevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwYK8BRC0ta6LhOPC0v0BEiQApv6jYbdmbZ41Blysqo2m-gH4ffROqq5dfAl0xW2LJPS8iL0aAizt8P8HAQ

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Looks like a good value. You will probably never be able to find out about the quality of the internal components, anyway. Go to Best Buy and if you like the picture, go ahead and buy it! It's not like you are buying a car or a house where more research is needed.

David Ralph

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

I read that some people are frustrated with 60 hertz refresh rate on a television. Is that really a noticeable problem?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

TV shows are 24FPS, so...

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you have bionic eyeballs.
Or if you just like to complain...

IInuyasha74

Honorable
You could try Seiki if you go up a little higher. I can't find the exact model I have right now, but they make solid TVs with excellent features for what you pay.

http://www.hhgregg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=10154&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=24&searchTerm=seiki#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:list&minPrice:&maxPrice:&

Solution