Last Minute Laptop Options

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I'm about to buy a Dell Vostro 3550. They have a killer deal going on with $300 off. I have a last minute question that I just can't decide on. Should I upgrade the RAM from 4 gb to 6 gb dual channel for 60 bucks, or should I get Dell's 1 year accidental damage warranty for 60 bucks? I'm pretty careful with my stuff, but I just want to be sure this laptop is going to last me. I'm going to be using it for gaming on some intensive games such as Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Starcraft 2 (OK, maybe not that intensive :p). I also got the upgraded dedicated video card (AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M). So what should I do? 1 year accidental warranty, or the RAM upgrade?

Here's the link to the specific laptop: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?reconfigure=true&cart=ActiveCart&id=0185845d-254a-4514-818a-1efd2bc49c9e&ecomm=ecomm.dell.com&c=us&l=en&cs=04

Solution
Hello cpoullas;

Excellent choice of laptop IMO.
Skip the RAM upgrade. Does the accident coverage also cover theft?
I'd actually favor an extra year warranty coverage over the 1yr accident coverage.
Are you a student?

Dell Vostro 3550 Review

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008

I am not a student, but I will be in the fall. Why skip the RAM upgrade? You don't think I'd notice a difference?