Latitude e6410 runs real hot

Gelula

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
My Latitude e6410runs hot.
I recently bought an used latitude e6410. The previous owner told me it had a heating problem but I bought it hopping a proper mentenance job should solve the problem.
When I opened the back cover I found out the device was immaculate: no dust, the fan works smoothly and the heat sink is in good shape.
I reapplied thermal paste.
Than I upgraded the BIOS: first to A09 than to the latest version.
Watching the system running I saw the fan is not spinning unless the nvidia graphic card and the CPU gets real hot like 70 degrees Celsius.
Next,I thought it's the windows 7 to blame, possible because of a malware which affects the command of the fan. So I went to Microsoft official site and did a free upgrade to Windows 10 professional. I noticed that during the process of upgrade the fan was spinning most of the time and the local temperatures were not decent but acceptable: up to 65 degrees Celsius than back to 58 and this pattern repeated during the whole process.
After installing Windows 10, the heat problem persists. The local temperatures gets to 55 degrees when idle and rises up to 82 degrees when performing simple tasks like running a movie. It seems like the graphics gets hot first than the CPU follows. The exhausted air feels very hot.
My latitude e6410 has an i5 520 CPU , nvidia graphics, 2x2Gb ddr 3 ram and a 7200 rpm 240 Gb hdd. When I bought it, it had A05 BIOS and windows 7 professional running.
It's curious I couldn't find a thing in BIOS setting about the cooling fan.
Can anyone help me to solve the problem?
P.S. : I tried to put this on the dell's official forum but they won't let me to upload the post

Gelula

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
It runs hot even with the OS not loaded. Just starting it and going thru the BIOS settings, I feel it heating. No fan spinning. It doesn't even perform a fan test when starting. All laptps I seen before do a fan test at start-up. This one doesn't

McNeal

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

I bet your fan has failed then. Most computers give an alert on startup if your fan fails. Just purchase a new one that is for your laptop and navigate the meticulous process of taking your pc apart and replacing the fan. Or take it somewhere to get it replaced. You can also try to clean your old one really good.

Gelula

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015

McNeal

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

That is so strange. It has to be something to do with your cooling method.

Gelula

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
Battery is pretty old but I run it with the charger plugged in. The system is real clean. Just the OS. No other software. When I made the upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 10 I selected "keep nothing on drive C:"

Gelula

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
I studied dell owners forum and it seems this is it's normal temperature regime. They say all dell equipped with nvidis GPU have the tendency to run warmer than the other models.
Intel say their i5 520m can bare up to 105 degree Celsius and nvidia say their GPU is built to last up to 105°C too. Latitude owners forum say it's OK as long as the temp doesn't rise more than 96°C.
I gave my laptop a full test and the maximum temperature went up to 82°C so I guess I was worried for nothing.
Even so I think dell made a shame of their brand with this models. I can't imagine me buying a new dell after this episode.
Thank you all for your support!

LeoKun

Commendable
May 29, 2016

LeoKun

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Hello there,
Nice to meet you...
I am having the similar problems with Dell Latitude E6410. While using it It get really hot and then the speed get down to half of his processing. It gets very slow so I shut it down when it's cool down. the problem is solved.

Secondly when I start my laptop There is something written like
Media test failure and Existing Intel boot agent.
I known many people have this problem so I need explanation here too??

But Laptop works really well. Due to this problem I am using Apple mac Air these days I wish If someone can help?
The same process continues sometime. One more thing Is it possible that a laptop can discharge the battery. I mean't that I bought my new battery on 3-3-2016. it provides 2- 3 hours works but suddenly in last two weeks. The total time it provides 1 hours 15 min and it keep on decreasing. Life time I mean.

Can some one tell what his wrong. If u may I can add new parts to get it fix?

Your Sincerely,
Leon.