Law Proposed to Track All Pre-paid Cell Phones

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Great idea! How do you keep people from stealing them? Install a bio-metric key ring decoder, driving the cost up to $200.00 per phone?

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I was behind some one in a shop who wanted to buy 5 phone cards from 5 different carriers. They all seemed for him because he pulled out 5 phones while doing it.
For me there is only 1 reason why he would do this, because he was up to no good. Personally he looked like a drug dealer/user too, face 20 years older than it should be, looked like he hasn't eaten in a week, had a caveman's command of speaking but drove away in a £80,000 Merc.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I think the law would be kind of dumb. Its not like people can not just use fake ID to get there phones and still do the same things.

As for the pic. I did think WTF, but one click revealed all "Image: the-wire" Ohhh ...got ya....

G

haha good job with the pic. you guys definitely gona get some hate mail even thought its from a show

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Wow it amazes me just how naive the majority of people are. You honestly think for a moment that anything you say isn't monitored? It doesn't matter if it's pre-paid, landlines, internet, voip, satellite phones, fax, email, pay phones, forums, social networking... it doesn't matter. The only thing this introduces is the ability for local law enforcement to acquire a subpoena for these documents. As it stands right now they're only available to "foreign national" intelligence agencies, that then in turn are "shared" with our intelligence agencies via Echelon and UK-US Security Agreement. We've been living in a Orwellian society for quite awhile now.

scott91575

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
You didn't ruin season one. They used pagers and payphones in season 1. They didn't start to use "burners" until season 3.

Can't blame you for thinking of The Wire, that is the first thing that came to my mind too.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]scott91575[/nom]You didn't ruin season one. They used pagers and payphones in season 1. They didn't start to use "burners" until season 3.Can't blame you for thinking of The Wire, that is the first thing that came to my mind too.[/citation]

Pagers and payphones until episode 7 when they ripped out the payphones because Stringer smelled a rat. After that at least two or three of them had 'burners'. D'Angelo was given his in the back room at the strip club. Nokia 3310 if I remember. :)

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Tracking pre-paid phones is common sense in my opinion.

As for the editors note, thank you. Never heard of the program yet the picture could easily be taken out of context.

scott91575

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
[citation][nom]axekick[/nom]Tracking pre-paid phones is common sense in my opinion.As for the editors note, thank you. Never heard of the program yet the picture could easily be taken out of context.[/citation]

During the taping of the Wire prepaid cell phones had just been introduced to the marketplace (2001), and highly unlikely written into the script. I don't think anything mentions they were "burners." That whole plot is season 3. They were more than likely regular cell phones. On top of all that, there were still payphones being used, just not the usual ones that were torn out.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]scott91575[/nom]During the taping of the Wire prepaid cell phones had just been introduced to the marketplace (2001), and highly unlikely written into the script. I don't think anything mentions they were "burners." That whole plot is season 3. They were more than likely regular cell phones. On top of all that, there were still payphones being used, just not the usual ones that were torn out.[/citation]

Perhaps I'm wrong. I had no idea the Wire was that old! Like I mentioned earlier, it only made it to Ireland in late 2008! :)

scott91575

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Perhaps I'm wrong. I had no idea the Wire was that old! Like I mentioned earlier, it only made it to Ireland in late 2008![/citation]

I recently rewatched season 2. It's funny watching it and how the cops didn't know about texting, and how it was a new thing. That really dates the series.

G

This law has been effective quite some time in Malaysia. But yet, there are people still getting the prepaid line using fake id, or worse other people's id.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
i didnt even take the picture into account; toms always puts some random photo with their articles, so why would this one be any different, are you all so stupid that you think they'd be that blatently racist?

G

Throw the race card anytime it suits your agenda. Sad. Until you can stop seeing everything throw a color, you will fail. Wait, you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.