Layering on Blueprints

gelatiking

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I work at a school where we frequently remodel the space. I use CAD (DraftSight) to modify our plans and keep up with the changes.

A separate problem is the fact that we do not have a legend for the electrical circuits in the building - they were not kept up very well immediately before we moved in. So when I need a circuit off, I have to go hunting. I have been keeping notes on the circuits I have found, with the intention of putting together a legend.

Now the question: In addition to a basic legend, I would also like to develop an interactive plan for our building which would allow me to identify every light and outlet by its circuit.

I can (and probably should) do this on CAD, but I also want the map to be available to my maintenance staff, who are not well-versed in CAD. If they can interact with the map to locate an outlet and its circuit, they save all kinds of time hunting.

Any suggestions?

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
If I follow you correctly, you could make an individual map for each circuit. Make a book with all of them. Put tabs on each page with the circuit number.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Either my above suggestion, or make each circuit a separate layer. Teach them how to access layers, and have them only turn on the layer with the circuit they need. Paper copy will probably work better though.

gelatiking

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Really, really interesting idea. Thank you!

bambiboom

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
gelatiking,

An easy to use method would be to use the electrical plan done for the revisions and place a number next to every outlet, lighting junction box location, and/or other connection, that number listing the connection number and corresponding to the circuit number on the breaker panel and breaker panel number. Each outlet or junction box could have a number based on the room number and other information-floor, building no, etc. If there are multiple networks and/or phone systems, you could denote Ethernet/ LAN/ telephone connections by network designation. List the circuits citing the power capacities and networks by server/router in a Legend , and the numbers of circuits connected to calculate whether a particular circuit or network can add load. Then, for any alterations, or to shut down a circuit for any reason, each fixture/outlet/connection can be traced to it's other termini without having to follow a wiring diagram. Date the plan prominently and with the previous revision dates and you might use a color code to make it easier to identify the changes history for added fixtures, location and/or circuit connection since the last revision.

If you provide the plan for every change, there is no need really to have this plan "interactive" with the maintenance staff / contractors, that is, it's read-only to all but you. In fact, it's better if no one else can alter it or you can end with multiple and confusing versions. Contractors or those changing should annotate a printed plan if new changes do not correspond with your plan.

Cheers,

BambiBoom