Question Lenovo AIO Screen Flickering

Mar 7, 2020
Hello,

my Lenovo Ideacentre Flex 20's screen randomly began to flicker a few days ago. It does so in a pulsing motion at roughly five second intervals consistently (meaning the flicker will last for five seconds and pause for five seconds), with this behavior mainly affecting the top portion of the screen. Upon starting my computer, the flickering only starts once Windows has fully loaded and begins with a small, barely noticeable spasm but after a few minutes progresses into a full blown rhythmic screen wave.

As far as external influences go, my computer was never dropped, hit or had any contact with water. The unit is basically brand new and never moves from my desk. Furthermore, my Ideacentre has never been in contact with any other device or anything with magnetic properties for that matter.

I would love to hear what a tech guy or someone knowledgeable with Lenovo products has to say. Does anyone have experience with this issue or had a similar problem? I'm hoping it might be a software thing... Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

John

It sounds like the display to me, but you can try the following...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Mar 7, 2020
It sounds like the display to me, but you can try the following...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Thanks for your reply, @webworkings. If only it were that easy... This device is a PC or AIO (all in one) as they call it but looks kind of like a gigantic tablet, with no ports for hdmi cables or monitor cables. Do you have any other suggestions?

Mar 7, 2020
Apologies, I assumed was a laptop since this is a laptop forum.

If it is an all in one, then I would have a local tech look at it. Those things are a bit of a pain to work on so I don't recommend trying it yourself.
No worries. Well, I get what your saying but if anything comes to mind that a layman might try to avoid shop charges please let me know. God knows I can't afford to spend any more on this unit...