Lenovo Announces a $199 Ideapad tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Colour screen, web browsing, play videos and music, cheap price - exactly what I wanted.

Did I want the latest version of Android for that? Not really so this is very welcome.

For those that want the latest version of Android you can expect that on the 10" version.

Also hopefully this will burst the overprice bubble on all tablets, except the iPad who don't understand the law of market forces.

G

Yeah, I think for $200 the price is right. When the fire sale happened on the Touchpad, I wanted one of them but I just think that anything over $250 on a tablet is a total waist of money.

Sure people will always overspend on all kinds of stuff because they think its trendy and when it comes to tablets that's what ICrap is for.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
this is a no buy.

i honestly cant justify almost any price for a single core anything at this point. it must be dual core or nothing.

i have used an ipod touch 2, and an ipad 2.

the difference is immense, everything is faster on the ipad 2, by a GREAT margin.

i want to stress i do not own either, but i use them, so no i payed for it bias.

if i want a tablet, it needs to be 200 or less and be dual core.

personally, and this may JUST be me talking here. but take a look at the wiiu.
that will be 300-400$, and the tablet is projected to be 75-100$

what if the wireless screen tech made it to the pc? or hell, a tv/dvr? and extend it a bit. we have tv's that can handle web browsing. and a dvr, beef it up a bit and you have a mini pc. imagine a 100$ tablet with the base station somewhere else in the home, and that base station doubles as something else that is always on.

thats where i think tablet tech is going to end up, as most people on the go would bring a real laptop or cellphone before a tablet.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
User removable battery would have been a smart move. Tech-literate people are not into purchasing devices like laptops or tablets without user exchangeable batteries. Toshiba Thrive is an Android tablet with an user removable battery, but at $400+ it is over-priced. The ideal price for a table should be around $300, and that should include:

High degree of connectivity, USB port, SD port, docking port, etc.... (this dictates the tablet is no some cute useless device a la iPad, but one driven by usability)

User replaceable battery.

User upgraded-able memory.

sundaymarch1056

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I'd prefer they increase the price to $250 and put in a dual core A9, doesnt have to be the fastest though. and no mention of the RAM size?

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Seems pretty similar to Barnes and Noble's Nook color.

Not bad, but clearly isn't targeting very techy people as most of us are waiting for the new quad core tablets running Ice Cream Sandwhich.

But whatever helps drive the prices down is a good thing for tablet consumers.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Another product out. I wonder if they're just competing in the market just to be seen or are they really making any inroads into this market.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]this is a no buy.i honestly cant justify almost any price for a single core anything at this point. it must be dual core or nothing.i have used an ipod touch 2, and an ipad 2. the difference is immense, everything is faster on the ipad 2, by a GREAT margin.i want to stress i do not own either, but i use them, so no i payed for it bias. if i want a tablet, it needs to be 200 or less and be dual core. personally, and this may JUST be me talking here. but take a look at the wiiu.that will be 300-400$, and the tablet is projected to be 75-100$what if the wireless screen tech made it to the pc? or hell, a tv/dvr? and extend it a bit. we have tv's that can handle web browsing. and a dvr, beef it up a bit and you have a mini pc. imagine a 100$ tablet with the base station somewhere else in the home, and that base station doubles as something else that is always on. thats where i think tablet tech is going to end up, as most people on the go would bring a real laptop or cellphone before a tablet.[/citation]

Well for 1, the clock speed on the iPod touch 2nd gen is only like, 600ish MHz, and the iPad 2 is 1 GHz... so even single core its going to have better performance... not to mention the iPod 2 has 8x the amount of RAM.

2) The WiiU "tablet" is only a controller for the console, and will be useless otherwise. I can guarentee that the current Wii will out-spec the WiiU's "tablet" controller. From what I've read about it, and heard from my inside sources, the controller does nothing but in-game stuff, and doesnt have a touchscreen. Good luck.

3) If you want to "watch tv" wireless from a "dvr" you can pick up a Wireless HDMI adaptor from Best Buy for like, $75, and BAM! You're watching HDTV from your PC on your TV... and you could even do some gaming if you want. Obviously you don't read enough into new electronics for your comment to matter.

G

This tablet might not play videos. All tegra2 based tablets now have no video playback support for anything other than H.264. It is actually forced to use software decoder and it is too slow for most HDTV videos.

Then again, it might, as there are many clones at this price point already does this. Lenovo can just slap their logo on it and sell these.

The other comment from Lenovo showed that they have terrible sales with their recently launched tablet. "Samsung must have sold only 10000 units of Galaxy Tab". Stink of sour grape all over. What else did they expect, they roll out a tablet with exact same spec as everyone else, at the same price, after being late for several months. They expect great sales? Guess they are trying something new seeing the success of HP Touchpad.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]Well for 1, the clock speed on the iPod touch 2nd gen is only like, 600ish MHz, and the iPad 2 is 1 GHz... so even single core its going to have better performance... not to mention the iPod 2 has 8x the amount of RAM.2) The WiiU "tablet" is only a controller for the console, and will be useless otherwise. I can guarentee that the current Wii will out-spec the WiiU's "tablet" controller. From what I've read about it, and heard from my inside sources, the controller does nothing but in-game stuff, and doesnt have a touchscreen. Good luck.3) If you want to "watch tv" wireless from a "dvr" you can pick up a Wireless HDMI adaptor from Best Buy for like, $75, and BAM! You're watching HDTV from your PC on your TV... and you could even do some gaming if you want. Obviously you don't read enough into new electronics for your comment to matter.[/citation]

that is my point EXACTLY with the wiiu controller it is JUST a screen with some inputs, and it is touch screen.

get a bigger box off to the side, and something that can stay on 24/7, such as a dvr, and there you go.

let me explain it a bit better.
most people use a tablet for dicking around, looking up a youtube video, or browsing the web.
now, if you take out all that, it has to fit X form factor out of it, and just have a screen with wireless controls, with the insides in a sperate location, you have the perfect tablet for home use.

its cheap, and its powerful.
the dvr base would cost... i believe little more than about 400$ possibly up to 600$, but it would have tb of storage space, along with a far more powerful processor, i'm thinking a apu from amd.

i have dealt with a single core processor, far after dual and quad cpus took over, dual cpu is a must as a bare minimum in EVERYTHING, i will never go back to single core again,

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It needs to run Ice Cream.

This is most likely a Lenovo label stamped onto some generic tablet already in production.

The 2.3 interface is.... blah.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
The sad part is that this is BY FAR the most exciting Android-based tablet device to come out. This pretty much proves the fact that:

1.> If your Tablet is going to cost $500 or more, it needs to:
a) Exceed the iPad 2 in hardware and/or features, or
b) Have some killer Operating System (like full-blown linux or Windows 8)

2.> If you can't compete with the iPad 2 in hardware, features or OS, it better be DIRT CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.