Solved! Lenovo G505s not starting

margaretwalton5

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum.

We have a G505s laptop which has worked fine for the 2 years it was under a John Lewis warranty.

You've probably already guessed what comes next as we stated to have problems at about 2 years 3 months/

The laptop has bee "playing up" lately.

Basically you switch on: the fan runs for 7 seconds and then stops. There's a blast of hot air and the laptop then fails to start. I've removed the back and cleaned the fan.

After this it it then started ok. Until the next time when it once again failed to start. This is a very irritating problem as the laptop will then start after numerous attempts and runs ok.

It will then work ok for a while and then fails again.

We would appreciate any help or advice to try to sort this out.

Kind regards

Dave

Solution
Sounds like it's overheating if cleaning the fan fixes things, or the motherboard is going. Aside from just cleaning the fan, remove the heatsink and apply new thermal paste. Make sure you use the right amount, it does not take a lot.

margaretwalton5

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from margaretwalton5 : "Lenovo G505s not starting"

I've taken the laptop apart and cleaned the fan and also re-applied thermal paste.

I'm now back to square one as I now can't get it started again. After I got it started last time I just put it in sleep mode and it started up immediately.

Does anyone have any more ideas that I could try.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

David