Solved! Lenovo IdeaPad 110-15IBR motherboard replacement

Milos2030

Prominent
Mar 2, 2020
Hello,

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 110-15 IBR with a dead motherboard with an Intel N3700 processor, my question is can I get a motherboard with i3 for example? Or does it have to be exactly the same motherboard, with the same CPU and RAM. I want to replace it, so I might just get one with a better CPU if possible.

Solution
No expert on laptops, but from what I understand, what CPU you can have installed depends on what's compatible with the motherboard chipset and the BIOS. If you can find an identical motherboard with a better CPU, the BIOS is already on the motherboard, so that part should not be an issue.

The problem comes in with the thermal limitations of the laptop's cooling solution and the power design. The Intel N3700 is a 6 watt processor, so it's easy to assume that the laptop's cooling isn't designed to handle much more than that; nor is the power supply/battery designed to deliver more than that. I don't think you're going to find a better processor with a similar power design, but if one does exist, I don't see any other issues.

-Wolf sends
No expert on laptops, but from what I understand, what CPU you can have installed depends on what's compatible with the motherboard chipset and the BIOS. If you can find an identical motherboard with a better CPU, the BIOS is already on the motherboard, so that part should not be an issue.

The problem comes in with the thermal limitations of the laptop's cooling solution and the power design. The Intel N3700 is a 6 watt processor, so it's easy to assume that the laptop's cooling isn't designed to handle much more than that; nor is the power supply/battery designed to deliver more than that. I don't think you're going to find a better processor with a similar power design, but if one does exist, I don't see any other issues.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Milos2030
Solution

Milos2030

Prominent
Mar 2, 2020
That's how I see it as well, but just wanted to see if my assumptions are correct. I didn't consider the battery though. The battery is not that good anyway, with a more powerful CPU it would perform even worse.

I'm probably just going to get the same motherboard if I am able to find it.

Thanks wolfshadw

I would not spend money on fixing that system, it's low end enough that a $150-200 used laptop will be faster and you can find them with an SSD for that as well. Maybe even $100 can get you something with a 3rd or 4th gen i5 if you look around. 5 yr old Celeron in a broken system, not worth replacing it with same unless you have absolutely no money and can only spend like $30 on a motherboard and can swap it yourself.

Milos2030

Prominent
Mar 2, 2020
I would not spend money on fixing that system, it's low end enough that a $150-200 used laptop will be faster and you can find them with an SSD for that as well. Maybe even $100 can get you something with a 3rd or 4th gen i5 if you look around. 5 yr old Celeron in a broken system, not worth replacing it with same unless you have absolutely no money and can only spend like $30 on a motherboard and can swap it yourself.
You are right, I wouldn't spend more than $30 either, and that is exactly the budget I set for this. I already disassembled it myself, now I just need to order the working motherboard. I actually found one for $40, but I'll probably ask the seller to lower the price a bit.