Solved! Lenovo IdeaPad 330s-15IKB - LOUD/NOISY Fan - Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2018
Hello,

I've owned this laptop for approximately 3-4 months now, and as of recent, I started to notice how LOUD the fan is! It is so annoying. I cannot describe it well enough in words how annoying it is to have a JET in the background while you're only watching a Live Stream on twitch or something like that, not even a demaning task... at all!

I'd also like to say I CANNOT recall if this has been happening before, I just realized in the last few days how obnoxious the fan is and now I cannot get it out of my head and the loudness is making me stressed out.

What are my options here? What can I do to have a NORMAL laptop in 2019, not a jet fighter in the background that's fuming like crazy when I'm doing pretty much basic stuff. I tried to flash back BIOS, nothing happened. Tried to lower the CPU to 99%, then 98% - nothing happened. It's literally driving me crazy.

If there are no solutions, I will definitely have a word with the Lenovo store here at my place because it is not acceptable for a 2018 laptop with the price tag of $800 to have a fan loudness like those back in 2000's.

I'm also supplying a video trying to explain and to try and "show" you how loud it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmPmIZiTvHQ

Thanks...

Solution
If it is that new, I wouldn't open it up for anything unless you check with the manufacturer. Don't want to void the warranty. That dB isn't that high to me, and I can't stand things with high dB levels. Here is some info on dB levels. http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm It may well be not so much that it is loud in general but that it seems so to you. Which if it is something you aren't used to, then that is possible and normal. New sounds can drive one crazy. :)

Use the info as a means to understand the level of sound and if it still bothers you, contact the manufacturer.
I would suggest you contact the manufacturer. The laptop should be under warranty, so if it is overheating and causing the fan to run more, or the fan is just not functioning correctly, then they need to look at it. Neither should be happening in a device that is that new.

However, just to point out, that doesn't sound loud to me at all. Just normal.

Apr 29, 2018

Thank you for your response. I compared it to another laptop I own, Lenovo Z50-70. The difference is really night and day, I am not kidding... I also thought I was delusional, but I guess it really is that loud.

Video wasn't really a strong proof, I guess. I did, however, download a dB app on my phone and when I place it on/next to the fan, it shows around 50-65 dB. That's... a lot.

Apr 29, 2018

The laptop is barely 4 months old. I did not clean it yet. I'm really doubtful that's the case, to be honest.

If it is that new, I wouldn't open it up for anything unless you check with the manufacturer. Don't want to void the warranty. That dB isn't that high to me, and I can't stand things with high dB levels. Here is some info on dB levels. http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm It may well be not so much that it is loud in general but that it seems so to you. Which if it is something you aren't used to, then that is possible and normal. New sounds can drive one crazy. :)

Use the info as a means to understand the level of sound and if it still bothers you, contact the manufacturer.

Solution
Apr 29, 2018

Thank you.

4 months isn't a long time, granted, but frequency of maintenance will vary depending on your environment.

That said, this model's fan noise is rated at a peak of 34-36 dB, according to Notebookcheck. That's pretty good. Unless there's a problem with the fan (e.g. a bad bearing), it should hardly sound like a jet in the background.

Aug 27, 2021
Hello,

I've owned this laptop for approximately 3-4 months now, and as of recent, I started to notice how LOUD the fan is! It is so annoying. I cannot describe it well enough in words how annoying it is to have a JET in the background while you're only watching a Live Stream on twitch or something like that, not even a demaning task... at all!

I'd also like to say I CANNOT recall if this has been happening before, I just realized in the last few days how obnoxious the fan is and now I cannot get it out of my head and the loudness is making me stressed out.

What are my options here? What can I do to have a NORMAL laptop in 2019, not a jet fighter in the background that's fuming like crazy when I'm doing pretty much basic stuff. I tried to flash back BIOS, nothing happened. Tried to lower the CPU to 99%, then 98% - nothing happened. It's literally driving me crazy.

If there are no solutions, I will definitely have a word with the Lenovo store here at my place because it is not acceptable for a 2018 laptop with the price tag of $800 to have a fan loudness like those back in 2000's.

I'm also supplying a video trying to explain and to try and "show" you how loud it is.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmPmIZiTvHQ

Thanks...

Same problem here, but the laptop is out of warranty. Is there any recommendation that could help with the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.