Lenovo Ideapad BSOD'ing even after system reset

endlesscowboy

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
Hey there, around three or four weeks ago my Lenovo Ideapad (Y410P) started BSOD'ing frequently, most often when playing games or being picked up. The most common error messages were Kernel Security Check Failure, Bad Pool Header, and IRQL Not Less or Equal. All of my drivers were up to date as far as I know and after doing some research I came to the conclusion it was probably either malware or a hardware/memory failure. Malware Bytes and MSE were not picking up anything in their scans, so I opted to play it safe and reset the system entirely. However, the problem persists and now I am starting to lean toward it being a hardware failure. Hoping to get a more definitive answer before I decide to buy a new system, thank you in advance for any help.

System Specs:
MS Windows 8
Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
8 Gigs of RAM
64-Bit Operating System
Nvidia Geforce GT 750M

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics.
- Open Program and Features then uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver there is.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx.
- Reboot the laptop once installed.
- Next is to set your games or application that requires your high graphics with NVIDIA processor.
- Here's how to set it:https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card
- Also do run Windows Update and install all important update there is.
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics.
- Open Program and Features then uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver there is.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx.
- Reboot the laptop once installed.
- Next is to set your games or application that requires your high graphics with NVIDIA processor.
- Here's how to set it:https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card
- Also do run Windows Update and install all important update there is.

Solution

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
update your system BIOS, this will update your memory timings. Then download and run memtest86 to confirm your memory is ok.
The bugchecks you indicated are a form of memory corruption, they can be cause by bugs in the BIOS, bad memory timings or voltages, and by drivers that are overwriting their owned memory locations and overwrite another drivers data.

note: overheating can also cause memory errors.