Solved! Lenovo Ideapad S540 touchpad works in Ubuntu but not in Windows

Feb 1, 2020
So, recently I bought a Lenovo Ideapad S540-14IML - Windows 10 Home preinstalled. While I was updating the drivers of the system through IOBit's Driver Booster, the mouse pointer suddenly disappeared and the touchpad stopped working. So, I rebooted the system but still the pointer was missing. The touchpad driver in Device Manager showed error 45 - device not connected. So, I uninstalled it and rebooted the system - but to no avail. The driver and the pointer - both were still missing unless I connected an external mouse.
In the System Restore menu accessed through NOVO button, the touchpad was working, but not in the same menu accessed from Windows' Advanced Startup option in Settings. I factory reset the PC, and also tried booting through a USB flash drive - but still no mouse pointer.
Then I installed Ubuntu on the PC, and the touchpad was working perfectly in Ubuntu. Also, it worked in elementary OS, Solus and other GNOME OSs, but not in the KDE systems like Deepin or Linux Mint.
I have updated the BIOS to the latest.
Thanks for any help.

Sorry to say, but that´s why it´s not recommended to update drivers via such tools.

Which exact driver did you update? Did you try to use driver booster to rollback the updates? Maybe the firmware of the touchpad was overwritten by the tool. This might not be reversible.

Try updating/reinstalling all drivers from this site:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/de/...es-netbooks/s540-14iml/downloads/driver-list/

Solution