LENOVO IdeaPad Y510p default hardrive or SSD ?

Cpereira94

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Hey guys, I am thinking about picking up a LENOVO IdeaPad Y510p from xotic pc but I'm not too sure what i should configure about it? I was thinking of replacing the default 1 TB 5400rpm drive w/24 gb cache ssd with either a faster 1TB 7200 rpm drive or a 256 ssd?

Would love to hear your thoughts and thanks to anyone that posts!

Solution
Well, there's really no contest here. Definitely get an SSD. 256GB model will give you decent space. And if you need more you could always buy an external drive. But in term of speed and responsiveness, it's like day and night compared to a mechanical drive, your laptop will boot in less than 10 seconds with a SSD.

I would suggest the Samsun 840 (non-pro) or the new Samsung 840 "Evo". They are good bang for the bucks, for instance you can get the 250GB model for around 180$.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Well, there's really no contest here. Definitely get an SSD. 256GB model will give you decent space. And if you need more you could always buy an external drive. But in term of speed and responsiveness, it's like day and night compared to a mechanical drive, your laptop will boot in less than 10 seconds with a SSD.

I would suggest the Samsun 840 (non-pro) or the new Samsung 840 "Evo". They are good bang for the bucks, for instance you can get the 250GB model for around 180$.

Solution

mydigitalssd

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
That computer uses an 42mm M.2 SSD. We will be releasing one up to 128GB very soon. A 64GB unit will be plenty for your needs and super easy to upgrade all you will have to do is unplug the 24GB and plug your new one in. If you don't buy it with a 24GB I am sure there is a way to setup the Express Cache or you can use our free caching software that comes with your purchase. Pricing will be around $65 for the 64GB. Within a few days your computer and everything you use on it will be cached and it will feel like you are just running on SSD. Your HDD should rarely spin up and your battery life and heat production will benefit greatly.

Radjes

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Do you by any chance have any updates regarding the M.2 SSDs?
I saw Intel announced their new 530 series, but other than that, it's still pretty rare.

mydigitalssd

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

Our solution has been shipping for a few months now with great results already have 7 reviews on Amazon.com all 5 star. Our SSD is listed as the #1 item bought with the y510p on Amazon as well. Sales are doing very well. Stock is getting short on the 128GB so if you want one of those get it ASAP as more will not come for 1-2 weeks If I were to guess they will stock out today or tomorrow. 500pcs in the works right now. Plenty of 64GB and 32GB M.2 are available.

Let me know how it works out.

Matt
MyDigitalSSD