Lenovo L530 won't turn on

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hello everybody, I have this Lenovo L530 laptop which won't turn on, what happened? One day I decided to open it and clean it, I was connected to ground to avoid any static discharge and disconnected from the wall outlet and without the battery inserted, while I was at it I tried to separate the fan from the heatsink to remove all the dirt inside but I damaged the heatsink, then I put it all together and the laptop stop working, no lights, no fan, no nothing, at first I thought it was because of the damaged heatsink, bought a new one and replaced it and even replaced the RAM, but nothing again, I was worrying about some other parts untiI today I noticed that at the moment to connect the AC adapter (laptop charger) the LED lights which indicates charging or low battery weren't lit, so no electricity is running to the laptop, I've already checked the cable and the brick from the charger and they are both fine, my only conclusion is maybe a damaged plug where the charger connect's (haven't tested yet) or maybe it has some static going on (I already did the button tricks to get rid of the static but nothing happened) or maybe the CPU or the CMOS battery or even the motherboard (btw it hasn't burn marks or so), I'm going crazy because I don't know what else to check or to do or if I'm missing something or I'm doing everything wrong... Thanks in advance and I hope finally bring it from the ashes.

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
You mean to check if everything is properly connected or a connection damaged? Yes, I did both, nothing seems to be damaged, every pin in every connection is good, and before re-assembly the laptop I double check everything to verify its connected as it should be, RAM dimms, screen connections, wifi cables, heatsink and fan, CPU, nothing loose or disconnected/misconnected

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi jarotech, haven't tested yet it because I don't have a multimeter available, a friend of mine lend me one but got to give him it back, as soon as I can I will test it, but how to do it? In the meantime, can I check something else? thanks for your help!

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
With the lent multimeter, my friend is a car mechanic and he guided me with the test but only with the AC adapter wich is a 2 pieces adapter, first the cable that plugs in to the outlet and goes to the brick, I tested that cable first unplugged from everything, the first test was to verify if there was an open circuit, I put the multimeter in continuity test mode and the positive lead plugged to the voltmeter/ohmmeter and verifying each end of the cable, one end of the multimeter to the prong of the cable and the other end to the part which goes inside the brick and beeped, then next test was to verify if the cable was not shorted and the multimeter didn't beeped, so it was OK, then the brick cable which goes from there to the DC jack, set the multimeter to DCV, the red end of the multimeter inside the plug and the black touching the outside, the brick is 20V brick, the result at the screen was 19.78

Ok, this was the right way to test adapter without the laptop, when you have the multimeter, you do the same reading with the multimeter on the DC jack but on the motherboard. you put the multimeter on the DCV scale, you connect the adapter and carefully without shorting anything, you connect the two wires on the pins of the jack. You should have the same voltage around 19.78V.

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks a lot for your guidance but I have a question, I make the test with the AC adapter plugged to the outlet? the DC jack runs to the motherboard in a four cables connector to a nearly encased four pins connection, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to an image to show you how it is, to know where I have to put the multimeter cables, or is it exactly at the motherboard where the connector is welded?

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Oh OK, directly from the motherboard, there are some joints where I could put the voltmeter wires, here are some of the images, first one is the DC jack and the second is from the motherboard, hope its useful, I put a red circle around de connector, (not my images but illustrative I guess)
https://imgur.com/MiiqoQf
https://imgur.com/eJrQ7gk

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi jarotech, sorry for the delay and of course, I can post some new pictures from both the DC jack and the motherboard, as soon as I take them, I'll post them, thanks a lot to keeping in touch

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hello jarotech, sorry again for the delay but I have some news, bad news, I had the chance to test the DC jack connector on the motherboard and I can confirm that the motherboard is totally dead, electricity won't get through the cable to the motherboard, I have all the readings at the cable plug and the DC jack, but at the time to test it directly from the motherboard, I have no readings at all, so, AC adapter is working correctly, the DC jack and its cable are working fine, but the problem is already at the motherboard

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
https://imgur.com/a/qlrMO
That's the link to the album with the images, those are directly from my laptop, sorry for the delay but I caught this flu that knocked me down and yes the DC jack cables are faulty, I'll have to test another one but have to buy it from abroad, let's see if I can manage to do.something in the short term and keep you updated

Alberto_7

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi again jarotech and thanks, I'm feeling a little better, how are you? I have some updates, I tested everything again and guess what happened... my bad because I have readings at the DC connection on the motherboard, so the DC jack nor the wires are faulty I guess, both pieces of the charger are working fine, the connection on the motherboard gives me positive reading so there is electricity going at least at that point, but the indicators aren't lit yet, something's going on there but I don't know what else to check.
I thought it may be the power button that's attached to the keyboard but no, if the DC jack and the connection at the motherboard are giving me readings at least the indicators have to be lit but nothing happens, I'll see if have a chance to record a video to show you exactly what's going on, thanks again and I'll keep you posted for some new update.

I'm fine, thank you, I see you have a socket for the CPU, if you haven't already done it, unlock the socket and remove the CPU gently, reseat the CPU in the socket and lock it. You will have to remove the heatsink, clean the CPU and reapply the paste and put back the heatsink. After verify if something new happens.