Solved! Lenovo laptop metallic sound, help

Nov 10, 2019
Hi everyone,
My apologies if there's an answer for this somewhere already but 1)I'm panicking 2) I'm a noob and I don't understand that much of pc and laptops. So double apologies.
Today my Lenovo started making metallic noises from the bottom, coupled with sizzling/crackling noises. I thought it was the fan so I cleaned everything but it persisted. I hoped it was some updates needs but after updates it got even worse. So I'm fearing it might be the hard disk. Is there a way to know for sure? Because other than the sounds the laptop works quite fine. I may bring it to a repairman tomorrow, should I keep it shut down in the meantime? Can I turn it on and try to save my data at least? All my work is there. Wish there was a way to fix this myself cause I'm a broke student but I guess there's not. I'll take any advice possible in the meantime! I can post a video with the sound if necessary.
Thank you all!

Solution
Metallic noises is definitely not software. It would be hardware.

There are really only two things that would make such a sound. A fan or a drive. While the you cleaned the fan, it could still be the problem, if it was already damaged. Where as it could still be the drive, it likely would not work well if the drive was the issue and with a fan it can still work and seem fine, until it overheats and fries something.

I would suggest leaving it off. Do not use it. Then contact a few local techs and see who can take a look at it for a reasonable price.

The sizzling and cracking noises are likely something else, but if the fan isn't working properly then the GPU, CPU, etc., could overheat and cause these sounds. Don't use the device...

There are really only two things that would make such a sound. A fan or a drive. While the you cleaned the fan, it could still be the problem, if it was already damaged. Where as it could still be the drive, it likely would not work well if the drive was the issue and with a fan it can still work and seem fine, until it overheats and fries something.

I would suggest leaving it off. Do not use it. Then contact a few local techs and see who can take a look at it for a reasonable price.

The sizzling and cracking noises are likely something else, but if the fan isn't working properly then the GPU, CPU, etc., could overheat and cause these sounds. Don't use the device. Leave it off and take it in to be repaired.

Reactions: Pippin1829
Solution
Nov 10, 2019
Al

The sizzling and cracking noises are likely something else, but if the fan isn't working properly then the GPU, CPU, etc., could overheat and cause these sounds. Don't use the device. Leave it off and take it in to be repaired.

Alright, I'll leave it be then and bring it to someone. Thank you so much for your reply!