Lenovo laptop screen is glitching

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello,
Alright so my laptop is a Lenovo IdeaPad N585 and is 3 years old and the screen is glitching. First the glitch started with a white line going across the screen, now it goes completely glitchy (white,green,and purple) and the screen is only clear when I bend it at certain angles and touch it at certain parts of the screen.

Does anybody know how to solve this? I am looking for a way to solve this on my own because my warranty is up.

I should also add that I'm not super tech savvy but, I'm willing to learn so any info is helpful?

It sounds like you are going to need a new display, but before going that route try testing a few things.

First, when the laptop is off, connect an external monitor. Next turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. Does it show fine on the external monitor? I am assuming it will, but it is always good to test it out. If it does, then it is definitely with the attached display or its ribbon cable.

Next I would check to make sure the ribbon cable that connects the display isn't damaged or pinched in any way. If that isn't the issue, the whole display is probably going to need replacing.

ffg7

Splendid
right now it kinda sounds like a bad or loose vide cable at the back of the screen. new screen link http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/IDEAPAD%20N585%20SERIES/ which also has a video to replace a screen even tho for a Lenovo IdeaPad Y50.

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
To connect an external monitor, would I need a special cable? and can I just use another laptop as the external monitor?

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Thanks for the link. The video mentioned mentioned replacing the plastic bezel, does this site also sell Lenovo bezels?

ScreenSurgeons1

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Your laptop should have a VGA or HDMI port which you can use to connect an external monitor.

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

My laptop has both a VGA port and HDMI port. Since I already have an HDMI cable and a tv can I just connect it that way? Also how would I do that?

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

The image showed up just fine on the external monitor. How would I check to make sure the ribbon cable isn't damaged or pinched? would I open the display somehow?

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting I lift the keyboard area to see if there's a damaged ribbon cable? Wouldn't I check the screen? If so, how would I do that?

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I'm still a little confused do you have any link to a video that would show me how to do this because, I actually don't even where these parts would be on my laptop to be honest. I do what to learn though but, just don't want to cause more problems to my laptop.

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Alright so, I searched "ribbon cable between motherboard and screen" and found this link http://www.laptopparts101.com/lcd-screen-video-cable/ You mentioned the LCD cable passing through the left side of the laptop, near the screen and keyboard area, where it connects to the motherboard. Is it a flat ribbon cable? If so, how would I know if it's damaged? And if it is damaged, would replacing it be my best bet at fixing my screen glitch issue?

MovingCastle_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Alright so would replacing this cable fix the issue that I've been having with my laptop's screen?that is if there's fraying near the round cable's outer coating like you mentioned. And my apologies for replying so late to this thread. I've been busy and working on fixing this issue in my spare time.