Hello, was on my laptop the other day and it just shut off and made a weird hiss noise like something was burning and smelled of burning. I just took off the plate on the back and smelled around and seems like it is coming from around where the ram is. Only way to really look is to actually take the whole thing apart and look but I don't want to if i don't have to. Would ram cause it to not be able to turn on or could it be the motherboard is burned or something. By the way this is a Lenovo g50-70.
It's unusual for the RAM to overheat that would smell like it's burning. If the laptop is still under the factory warranty I would just suggest contacting Lenovo for a repair if not here are some troubleshooting step that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will still not boot up, remove the battery off the laptop then connect just the AC adapter and see if it will boot up or not.
- Next to try is to reseat the RAM's, remove then all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- Do also test each RAM's stick one at a time chances 1 RAM stick is just faulty.
- And if all these will not work then the problem lies inside the motherboard.
- Here's a video guide to disassemble the laptop. https/www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r2JPW3fZ7Q