Solved! Lenovo Legion Power Up issue

Sep 6, 2019
Hello everyone. I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 and today I have encountered a very strange issue. Last night my laptop was running excellent and everything was fine but this morning when I tried to start my laptop up it won't give me any feedback of powering up besides the running fan. I press the power button, my fan starts running and my keyboard turns on, no feedback on the display and after aprox. 15 seconds it shuts down immediately. I have tried the power button holding method and the NOVO button but still no feedback . I just got my laptop out of warranty like 2 weeks ago and I don't want to wait another 15 days for it to get fixed again. Thank you for your attention.

Solution
If it is turning on the keyboard lights and your fan is running it is powered on. The problem is more the display or the GPU.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is...
If it is turning on the keyboard lights and your fan is running it is powered on. The problem is more the display or the GPU.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution