Lenovo P580 vs HP DV6-7870

parasite8

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Hi,

I've asked this question here but it seems to be missing so I'm posting it again with more info.

I'm deciding between two laptop and not sure which one to get. It seems that both are quite similar in capabilities so I think (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the decision is the brand. I've read in some other past forums that people have had problems with HP but not sure if that is the issue now, as some are happy to have HP.

What are your thoughts??

Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6" Intel Core i7-3520M Laptop (P580)
Specs:
Processor Type: Intel Core i7-3520M
Processor Cores: 2
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Processor Cache:4 MB L3
Hard Drive Capacity: 750 GB
Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute): 5400 rpm
RAM Size: 8 GB
RAM Type: DDR3
RAM Speed: 1600 MHz
RAM Slots: 2 Available
Approximate Battery Life: Up To 5 Hours
Battery Type: Lithium Ion
Battery - Number of Cells: 6
Battery - Capacity: 4400 mAh

The second laptop is HP Pavilion DV6-7870ca
Specs:
Processor Type Intel Core i7-3610QM
Processor Cores 4
Processor Speed 2.30 GHz
Processor Cache Information Not Available
Storage & Memory
Hard Drive Capacity 1 TB
Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 5400 rpm
RAM Size 8 GB
RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM
RAM Speed Information Not Available
RAM Slots 2
Battery Type Lithium-Ion
Battery - Number of Cells 6

They are relatively similarly priced (Lenovo is $100 cheaper than the HP)

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

J

qwerty1358

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I personally prefer Lenovo because their laptops are good quality and perform very well. HP is also a very good company (Lenovo and HP were ranked 2nd and 3rd as the top laptop companies) but is more entertainment oriented. If you wanted the quad core processor I would say HP but the Lenovo seems fine unless you are doing some cpu intensive tasks and the dual core will still handle everything you throw at it. Im guessing you are not gaming since there is no mention of a gpu. Spec wise it doesnt matter. Choose whichever one you think looks better or has a better design. The only thing I would recommend is buying a ssd and replace the hdd. 5400 rpm is slow

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
You don't list your intended useage but one thing to note is the lenovo's i7 listed above is only a fast dual core and NOT a quad core if that matters to you (heavy multi-tasking etc.)

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

By heavy multitasking he means mor then just word processing, internet usage ect. he mean running multiple videos, encoding videos or music, archiving multiple archives at once.