Lenovo Rebooting When Lid Closes

lblar37

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
Hello, I know there was an old thread for this issue, and I've read it and tried the "solutions". My problem persists however. I have a 2 year old Lenovo G50 laptop running Windows 10. Since the Windows updates a month ago, my laptop reboots approximately every other time I close the lid. Before the Win updates, it was set to "sleep" when I closed the lid. I would open the lid, move the mouse, and it would wake up as it was supposed to do. After reading the old thread here, I have gone into Advanced Power Options and set it to hard drive to never, sleep to never, hibernate to never and so on. My thinking was that since I use it frequently during the day and need it up and ready to go, I could simply shut it down when I was finished for the day. This is harder on the battery life I know, but it was the only way I could think of to get it to stop rebooting when it comes out of "sleep" mode. So now, it only reboots every other time I close the lid or sometimes even if I leave it open while working with a client and come back to it. I have Kapersky antivirus running and scans are coming up clean. Since Windows 10 takes so long to boot up, this is particularly annoying when I have a client waiting for me to get them something off my laptop. Does anyone have any other suggestions? There was one thread here that mentioned going into BIOS settings, but it was referencing Win 7 not 10. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I have the same model Lenovo - G50 and nearly the same issue. The difference was I didn't have to close the lid, any time it went to sleep it would crash. I tried tons nothing worked. Then read a post about an issue with the video driver. Downloaded the newest driver from vnida and installed. That seems to have fixed the sleep issue. However, now I have a issue where the laptop screen stays on while it is docked and the lid is closed!! Thanks MS!!!
While you say you checked it in power settings and checked for viruses, have you tried starting up in "Safe Mode" and seeing if it happens while you are in there? Yes, I know you can't access most things in that mode, however, you can test this issue out in there and see if it happens or not. If it doesn't, then there is something on the laptop causing the issue. Doesn't have to be a virus, could be a bad program, bad update, malware, etc. If it does still happen in "Safe Mode" then it may well be a hardware issue. Something shutting down when it shouldn't or perhaps overheating.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

lblar37

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
Rebooted into "Safe Mode" and closed lid. It did not reboot. However, as I stated in my original post, it doesn't do it every time. So unless I reboot into Safe mode several times, I won't know for sure. Thanks though.

Sep 20, 2018
I have the same model Lenovo - G50 and nearly the same issue. The difference was I didn't have to close the lid, any time it went to sleep it would crash. I tried tons nothing worked. Then read a post about an issue with the video driver. Downloaded the newest driver from vnida and installed. That seems to have fixed the sleep issue. However, now I have a issue where the laptop screen stays on while it is docked and the lid is closed!! Thanks MS!!!

Solution

lblar37

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
dcarabelas,

I will try updating the video driver. I have no idea why that would affect sleep mode, but hey, at this point my Lenovo G50 is doing what yours does, I set it to "never" sleep and even if I leave it open, and walk into the other room, I will come back and find it has rebooted. Thanks for the suggestion.