Lenovo S405 Can't Boot to Win10 USB (Boot Loop)

Kevinsal03

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
About 3 months ago my laptop, which I mostly used as a thin client to link to a VM on my desktop got a Windows update that screwed up its registry, I was able to get Windows to boot using the backups in Windows, but every time I restarted it rebricked, until it stopped working completely. I removed the hard drive got what I could off the drive, then put it back in the computer, the restore button didn't work, so I took the drive back out to find out the partitions had been wiped, so I using diskpart cleaned the drive and put it back in, and created a Windows 10 USB, then tried to boot off it, the Lenovo logo pops up, then a few seconds later it goes black and does it again, it eventually freezes, if I push Fn+F2 I can't get into the EFI/BIOS when the drive is inserted, the Nova button doesn't work when the drive is inserted and FN+F12 (boot menu) doesn't work when the drive is inserted. While if I remove it, it works fine. I've changed and reset nearly every setting related to booting in the BIOS, the issue still happens when the "USB Boot" option is disabled.

The install drive is known good since I just tested it with my desktop.

Kevinsal03

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

The only other issue I've had was bad thermal throttling, but I blew out the fan of the huge amount of dust in it.
So no, not really.

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017
We have to determine if this is a hardware or software issue. Try to check the ports for any dust or damage. Can you try plugging in another USB into the computer to test the ports? I think a phone charger is the only one that can work. When you plug it in, do you get a charge on the phone?