lenovo t410, black screen

Nikon1234

Estimable
May 30, 2016
Hi. Guys:

I need your help here. I have bought a refurbished lenovo t410, dual core, 4g memory, 320g hdd in Oct. 2015. I think recently the computer was hit by virus. Now my screen become 'black'. I could connect it to an external display, but my laptop screen is black. I tried to restore it to factory status, at the last step of the factory restore, it will ask to restart, it then will kept this black scree 'forever'. I suspect that the original screen is good because when I first turned it on, it briefly showed 'Thinkpad', then a brief green screen, then the total 'black' screen. Also, when I connected it with an external display, when I toggled on the external display, I occasionally saw the login screen on my laptop screen, and very quickly, it went to 'black'.

Could anyone give me some advice to start my diagnosis?

Thanks.

Dan

Hi,

It seems like a display problem already but please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If the same problem will persist, connect it again to an external monitor then press the Windows key + P at the same time and select "Computer Only" then press Enter and see if the display will go back into the built in display.
- If all these will not work I would suggest opening the laptop and checking the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard.
- And lastly, if all these will not work I would consider replacing the built in display.

Nikon1234

Estimable
May 30, 2016
Hi. Laptop_Nerd. Thanks for the advice. I have tried first two choices but with no luck. I am considering to check the ribbon cable, and anticipating to swap out of the lcd screen. Where is the best place to buy lenovo t410 screen. I checked neweggs but did not find any. I also checked amazon, the cost is $60 for the screen. It is kink of expansive, I only paid $180 for the refurbished t410. Also, could I use t420 screen for this t410, since T420 has a higher resolution.

thanks.

Dan