Solved! Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 1 USB C Video output stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2020
Hi Everyone!

I'm having issues with the USB C port on my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme. So here's a little background:
I have a ultrawide monitor (1440p) where I would plug all my peripherals and that monitor would plug to my laptop via USB C and it worked perfectly. I purchased a 2nd monitor (not ultrawide, 1080p) and a USB C hub to connect everything together. When i had the hub connected, i connected the ultrawide via displayport and the 2nd monitor via hdmi. It worked by outputting video to both displays but i noticed the ultrawide was stuck on 1080p and not 1440p. So i started to troubleshoot and just did a simple unplug and plug of the wires and all the video stopped working and started to receive an error saying "display may have limited connectivity". I thought maybe that's the USB C Hub having issues? So i unplugged everything and tried to connect the ultrawide directly to the USB C port as it was before I got the Hub and now it doesn't even output video. The USB C hub still works because it's transferring data to my other peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc.). I got my ultrawide connected via HDMI directly to the laptop right now as that's the only way I can output video.

My question is, how can I check to know what's wrong? I want to be able to use multiple monitors as I need screen real-estate for work. But if I can't use multiple monitors, I would still like to use the USB-C for video output. Did i maybe burn the USB C video output?!?! If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

EDIT: FYI, the usb-c port is thunderbolt.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020
Found the solution. The USB-C Thunderbolt port capacitors on my laptop was shocked from a power surge from the USB-C hub and got overcharged and screwed with the circuit (my theory). I was able to repair the situation by unplugging my laptop and removing the battery and try to turn on the laptop for about 5 seconds to discharge the capacitor. Once that was done, the port started to work normally once again. I don't know how this forum works but if someone could make this as "Solved" would be awesome. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.